CSEAS Fellowships for Visiting Research Scholars at Kyoto University in Japan , and applications are submitted till April 30, 2015. Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) of Kyoto University, Japan is offering visiting research fellowships for scholars and researchers who work on Southeast Asia, or on any one of the countries in that region. Applicants must be interested in spending time in Kyoto in order to conduct research, write or pursue other scholarly interests in connection with their field of study. Total six fellowships will be awarded for the first half of 2016 on a competitive basis. These fellowships are normally for a six-month duration, although in exceptional cases they can be extended for an additional six months. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Japan
Field(s): Fellowships are available to conduct research, write, or pursue other scholarly interests in connection with their field of study in Kyoto, Japan.
Deadline: April 30, 2015.
Funded By: Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) of Kyoto University, Japan
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): CSEAS Fellowships are targeted for International scholars and researchers who work on Southeast Asia, or on any one of the countries in that region can apply for these CSEAS fellowships.
‣ Award No: Six fellowships will be awarded for the first half of 2016.
‣ Scholarship Duration: CSEAS Fellowships are normally for a six-month duration, although in exceptional cases they can be extended for an additional six months.
‣ Scholarship covers: Successful applicants will receive an appropriate stipend to cover international travel and living expenses in Kyoto. Research funds will be provided to facilitate his/her work. Funds will also be allocated for domestic travel, subject to government regulations. Visiting Research Scholars are considered as employees of Kyoto University and are therefore subject to some of the University’s regulations. They will be expected to reside in Kyoto for the duration of their fellowship. They are expected to deliver a public lecture during their term at the Center and participate in conferences and other academic activities within Japan as representatives of the CSEAS. They are strongly encouraged to contribute to the Center’s journal, Southeast Asian Studies, the online journal Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia, and other in-house publications, and contribute to expanding the CSEAS’ global alumni network.
‣ The Center for Southeast Asian Studies of Kyoto University is now accepting applications from scholars and researchers who work on Southeast Asia, or on any one of the countries in that region, and are interested in spending time in Kyoto, Japan, in order to conduct research, write, or pursue other scholarly interests in connection with their field of study.
‣ Since 1963, more than three hundred distinguished scholars have visited the Center for periods ranging from six months to one year.
‣ They have availed themselves of the Center’s considerable scholarly resources and the invigorating atmosphere of scenic Kyoto, the ancient capital of Japan and the main repository of the country’s cultural treasures, to pursue their interests in Southeast Asian area studies.
‣ The Center’s multi-disciplinary character and the diverse research interests of its faculty offer visiting research scholars an ideal opportunity for the exchange of ideas and the cultivation of comparative perspectives.
‣ Applicants must be productive scholars of high reputation under 65 years of age at the time of the fellowship appointment; those over 65 may be considered only if they are outstanding.
‣ This fellowship is not available to individuals currently pursuing graduate degrees or post-doctoral studies.
‣ Only experienced librarians are eligible to apply for the library position. Scholars who have previously held CSEAS fellowships must wait six years after the completion of their fellowships before reapplying.
Selection Criteria for CSEAS Fellowships
‣ Fellowships will be awarded on a competitive basis.
‣ Applicants will be notified of their application status by the end of July 2015.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants are encouraged to submit their application via e-mail. Email applications must have the following attached documents (A4 size in PDF or MS word format).
‣ Applicants must also contact their respective referees and request them to send their letters of recommendations to CSEAS via email. The letter should be written in their institution’s letterhead.
‣ Email Applications and letters of recommendations must be sent by email. (Important note: please put “CSEAS fellowship” as the subject or title of the email message, otherwise your message will not reach us). Applicants with no access to email may write to CSEAS to ask for an application form. They must then submit the above forms, as well as ask their referees to send their sealed letters of recommendation via post.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is April 30, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.