CMI PhD Scholarship for International Applicants in Norway , and applications are submitted till March 15, 2015. Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) is offering PhD scholarship for the project focusing on “Women in the ‘developmental state’: Female employment and empowerment in Ethiopia”. The research project is based at CMI in Bergen, and is undertaken in cooperation with Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, University of Leiden, the Netherlands, and individual researchers in several countries. The grant period for this project is 4 years, including one year of work for CMI as host institution. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Norway
Level: PhD as part of a research project.
Field(s): The project focuses on female manufacturing workers in Ethiopia. This research will provide new knowledge on the conditions for female empowerment in authoritarian growth regimes.
Deadline: March 15, 2015.
Funded By: Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): CMI PhD Scholarship is targeted for International applicants
‣ Award No: not specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The grant period is 4 years, including one year of work for CMI as host institution. It is a condition that the candidate applies and is admitted to a relevant doctoral programme within the first six months of the project period.
‣ Scholarship covers: An exciting opportunity to combine research excellence with policy influence ; the chance to be part of the leading multidisciplinary development research institute in Scandinavia ; a competitive salary reflecting CMI’s pay scale .
‣ Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) invites applicants to write a PhD as part of a research project focusing on female manufacturing workers in Ethiopia, a country with one of the fastest growing economies in Africa.
‣ A multidisciplinary project, combining micro-economic household surveys with ethnographic interviews, this research will provide new knowledge on the conditions for female empowerment in authoritarian growth regimes.
‣ The CMI PhD Scholarship project investigates how women’s participation in the labour market impacts on gender roles and on women’s participation in society through interest groups, and intends to answer the question: What is the impact of economic growth, through formal female employment, on the empowerment of women?.
‣ MA or equivalent university degree
‣ Background in political science, economics, or anthropology
‣ Solid quantitative data skills
‣ Academic or practical experience from relevant fields
‣ English is the working language of the project. Candidate must have sufficient command of the English language to participate in discussions and write the PhD in English. Knowledge of Ethiopian language(s) is considered as an advantage.
‣ To enable synergies with the rest of the research group it is a condition that the PhD candidate is based in Bergen during the grant period.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Please submit the following documents via email, citing ‘PhD Women in Ethiopia” in the subject field:
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on March 15, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.