Claude Leon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships in South Africa , and applications are submitted till 31st May 2018.The Claude Leon Foundation is offering postdoctoral fellowships for South African and Foreign citizens. The fellowship is awarded for pursuing research program in the faculties of science, engineering and medical sciences at universities and some institutes in South Africa. Candidates should have received their PhDs within the last five years. The fellowship worth of R235 000 per annum will be awarded for up to two years. Fellows, after having completed their first year of Fellowship, may apply to the Trustees for one travel grant per Fellowship up to a maximum of R25,000 to attend international conferences for the purpose of presenting a paper or poster. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | South Africa
Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing postdoctoral research program
Field(s): Fellowships are awarded for research in the faculties of science, engineering and medical sciences.
Deadline: 31st May 2018.
Funded By: The Claude Leon Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Claude Leon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships are targeted for South African and Foreign nationals.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The Claude Leon Foundation fellowship will be awarded for two years.
‣ Scholarship covers: The fellowship will be worth R235 000 per annum.
‣ The flagship education project of the 2019 Claude Leon Foundation is the Postdoctoral Fellowship programme in the sciences at South African universities which is now in its fourteenth year.
‣ It has as its main goal the building of research capacity at all South African universities and research institutes.
‣ More specifically, the Trustees are seeking to upgrade research in the faculties of Science, Engineering and Medical Sciences by making awards to both South African and foreign postdoctoral scientists, who should increase the volume and quality of research output, transfer technical skills, and generally enhance the research culture of universities.
‣ It is envisaged that Fellows will not be involved in undergraduate teaching, but will contribute to postgraduate research training.
‣ It is believed the Foundation currently accounts for between 15 to 20 percent of all Postdoctoral Fellowships in South Africa on an annual basis. The Foundation offered 46 new awards for 2019.
Have what it takes to avail Claude Leon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships ?
‣ The Fellowships are open to South African and foreign nationals.
‣ Preference will be given to candidates who: a) have received their PhD degrees in the last five years; there may be exceptions for older candidates who bring special skills or experience. b) are currently under-represented in South African Science, Engineering and Medical Sciences.
‣ An applicant who has not completed his/her PhD at the time the Fellowship is offered (usually October) must have at least submitted the PhD thesis by the end of the calendar year in which the offer is made.
‣ In those circumstances the Foundation will require written assurance from the applicant’s PhD supervisor that the PhD thesis has been submitted and there is a reasonable expectation that the doctoral degree will be awarded.
‣ Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis, taking the applicants’ academic achievements and potential as researchers into account.
‣ The results will be available in October each year.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Completed Postdoctoral Application Forms must be submitted to the institution at which the applicant hopes to undertake the Fellowship. Sections J, K, L and M of the application form must be dealt with by the university/institution of choice.
‣ These universities/institutions will ensure that applications forms are signed by the appropriate authorities, and that all copy documents are attached. These forms should be scanned and emailed to postdocadmin-at-leonfoundation.co.za.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 31st May 2018.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.