Benjamin A.Gilman International Scholarship Program for US Students, and applications are submitted till October 3, 2017 for summer 2018. Applications are invited for Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program available for US undergraduate students who are planning to study and intern abroad. Over 2,700 Benjamin A.Gilman International scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded. Eligible programs must be a minimum of four weeks (28 days) and can be as long as one academic year. Short-term programs are eligible as long as they fall within the eligible start dates for each cycle and are at least four weeks (28 days) in length. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Abroad (except Cuba or a country on the US Department of State’s current Travel Warning list).
students who are planning to study and intern abroad.
majors are eligible.
Deadline: October 3, 2017 for summer 2018
of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship is targeted for students from USA can apply for these Benjamin A.Gilman International scholarships.
‣ Award No: Over 2,700 Benjamin A.Gilman International scholarships will be awarded.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Eligible programs must be a minimum of four weeks (28 days)
and can be as
long as one academic year. Short-term programs are eligible as
long as they fall within the eligible start dates for each cycle and
are at least four weeks (28 days) in length.
2,700 scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded this academic year
for U.S. citizen undergraduates to study or intern abroad. Award
amounts will vary depending on the length of study and student need
with the average award being approximately $4,000 for fall and spring
programs, and $3,000 for summer programs. Applicants who are
studying a critical need language while abroad in a country in which
the language is predominantly spoken will automatically be considered
for the Critical Need Language Award, for a total award of $8,000.
Please note that this award is competitive and offered to a limited
number of students each year.
Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program offers awards for
undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International
Academic Opportunity Act of 2000.
scholarship provides awards for US undergraduate students who are
receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year
college or university to participate in study and intern abroad
‣ The applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship.
‣ The applicant is applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for credit by the student’s accredited institution of higher education in the US
‣ The applicant is studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks (28 days) in one country – or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students – and no more than one academic year. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
‣ The applicant is studying or interning abroad in any country except Cuba or a country on the U.S. Department of State’s current Travel Warning list. Students applying to programs in Mexico may only apply for scholarships to support study in Mexican states where no advisory is in effect according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning list.
Selection Criteria for Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship
‣ The US Department of State’s goal for the Gilman Program is to broaden the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints.
‣ The Gilman Scholarship Program aims to support a diverse range of students who have been traditionally under-represented in education abroad, including but not limited to:
‣ All applicants will be notified via email of the status of their application in December.
Scholarship Application Method
Both components must be completed by the deadlines in order for your application to be accepted. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered and extensions cannot be granted.
The online application is due at 11:59 PM Central Time on deadline day. The online application system will close at this time and no more applications will be accepted. This deadline also includes uploading official transcripts from your current college or university and any transfer institution listed in your application. For detailed instructions on how to upload your transcripts, please visit our Transcripts page.
We highly recommend that you submit your application at least one week before the deadline date to ensure that you do not miss the deadline as a result of technical difficulties with your equipment/network or as a result of heavy traffic on the Gilman website. In addition, if you encounter any issues or have questions, you will have time to contact the Gilman Program during business hours to address in advance of the deadline.
Before you begin the Gilman Scholarship application, contact the appropriate offices at your home institution in order to determine the correct study abroad and financial aid advisor to certify your application. Some institutions designate a specific financial aid or study abroad advisor to certify all Gilman Scholarship applications.
If your study abroad or financial aid advisor is not listed in the online application, please contact your advisor and ask him/her to create an account in the application system. Gilman staff will verify your advisor’s account within 2 business days. Once your advisor’s account is verified, you will be able to select your advisor from a drop-down menu within the online application. Please make sure that your advisor’s name is listed in the system well in advance of the deadline, as this information is required in order to submit an application.
Some institutions require a written release of information form before your advisors will be able to certify your application. Failure to submit a written release of information form to your advisor, if required by your university, will delay the processing of your application.
ONLINE APPLICATION & CERTIFICATION
Once you submit your application online, please meet with your advisors to confirm that you have applied. At this time your advisors must log in to certify your application. It is your responsibility to ensure that your application has been certified by both advisors no later than the deadline listed above.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on October 3, 2017 for summer 2018
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.