Afya Bora Consortium Fellowships in Global Health Leadership, and applications are submitted till December 1, 2016. Applications are invited for Afya Bora Consortium Global Health Fellowships for one-year training program in 8 academic health centers, four in Africa and four in the USA. Fellowship will provide trainees with a set of practical skills that will prepare them for leadership positions in government, non-government, and academic health institutions in developing countries. There are 20 positions available for health professionals interested in a 12-month fellowship (starting July 2017). Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Africa and USA
Level: This is a one-year training program in 8 academic health centers, four in Africa and four in the USA. The four pairs are: University of Nairobi and the University of Washington, University of Botswana and the University of Pennsylvania, Makerere University and Johns Hopkins University
Field(s): Fellowship will provide trainees with a set of practical skills that will prepare them for leadership positions in government, non-government, and academic health institutions in developing countries.
Deadline: December 1, 2016.
Funded By: Afya Bora Consortium
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Afya Bora Consortium Fellowships are targeted for citizens of USA, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda or Tanzania.
‣ Award No: There will be approximately 20 fellowship opportunities available. There will be slots for 16 African trainees and 4 US Trainees.
‣ Scholarship Duration: It is a 12 months fellowship program, beginning from July 2015.
‣ Scholarship covers: African trainees: -airfare (home-Botswana- attachment sites – Kenya - attachment site- Uganda – home) -monthly stipend equivalent to $1500 per month -evacuation insurance if stationed outside home country -accommodations and per diem up if attending didactic sessions and meetings outside of home country -reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc) -US Trainees: -existing fellowship stipend -roundtrip airfare from home city- Africa -airfare within Africa to attachment site placement and modules -support request for an NIH loan repayment up to $35,000 for one year (eligible applicants are limited to postdocs) -reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc) or -monthly stipend based on NRSA 2012 stipend levels -stipend cap is at 2 years post-doctoral level -roundtrip airfare from home city-Africa -airfare within Africa to attachment site placement and modulesper diem when attending didactic sessions and meetings housing allowance of up to $750 per month -support request for an NIH loan repayment up to $35,000 for one year (only postdoctoral applicants are eligible to apply) -reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc)
‣ Afya Bora Consortium Fellowships in Global Health Leadership will be accepting applications for the 2017-2018 Fellowship year, beginning August 15, 2014.
‣ There are 20 positions available for health professionals interested in a 12-month fellowship (starting July 2015) in one of our African partner countries (Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda).
‣ To contribute to health systems strengthening in our African partner countries by developing a leadership training program targeting primarily African health professionals. In the 21st century, leaders of large-scale programs must be able to function seamlessly in developing and sustaining South-South and South-North collaborations.
‣ The Afya Bora (“better health” in Swahili) fellowship model trains leaders for HIV/AIDS prevention, care and research programs, using a combination of didactic and experiential approaches.
‣ Afya Bora’s long term goal is to establish a sustainable program that is owned, led, and conducted by a consortium of institutions in Africa to address critical health priorities and improved population health.
‣ Be a citizens of US, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, or Tanzania AND -Meet one of the following education requirements
‣ Medical applicants need to have a M.D. or MBChB with a MMed, MPH or Masters degree in related field.
‣ Nursing applicants need to have a Masters degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field (PhD preferred), or substantial work experience.
‣ Other Public Health professionals (those without a clinical degree) must have an advanced degree in Public Health or a related field
Selection Criteria for Afya Bora Consortium Fellowships
‣ Many factors are considered including leadership potential, professional training, work experience, and potential for job placement after completion of the fellowship. Also, they try to balance the trainee group by the inclusion of both nurses and physicians.
‣ Accepted applicants will be notified in March 2017.
‣ Please email or fax completed form and responses to questions to Angela Shelton (email: afyabora-at-uw.edu).
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on December 1, 2016. Applications received prior to the deadline will be reviewed and applicants may be accepted on a rolling basis. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible.
If you have questions, please contact:
Angela Shelton, Program Manager
University of Washington
Phone: +1 (206) 543-4278
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.