African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards (AUKNSA), and applications are submitted till 30 October 2015 for Regional Award and 15 November 2015 for Continental award Applications are invited for African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards available to top African scientists for their scientific achievements and valuable discoveries and findings. These awards are available in each of the following two sectors (a) Life and Earth Science; and (b) Basic Science, Technology and Innovation at the national, regional and continental levels. The programme is implemented at national level for young researchers, regional level for women scientists and continental level open to all scientists. The Continental level is the highest level of the programme. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Africa
are available to scientists for their scientific achievements and
valuable discoveries and findings.
are awarded in each of the following two sectors (a) Life and Earth
Science; and (b) Basic Science, Technology and Innovation.
30 October 2015 for Regional Award and 15 November 2015 for
Commission of the African Union
Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards are targeted for
of the African Union (AU) Member States (Central Africa: Burundi,
Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Congo (DRC),
Equatorial Guinea, Gabon and Sao Tome & Principe; Northern
Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Tunisia, and The Sahrawi
Arab Democratic Republic; Eastern Africa: Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea,
Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia,
Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda are eligible to apply for
are two awards per country for AU-TWAS National Young Scientists, two
awards per region for African Union Regional Award and there are two
awards available for Continental Scientific Award.
awards are one-time monetary prizes.
value of the AU-TWAS National Young Scientist Award shall be US$
5,000 (Five thousand US Dollars) jointly conferred by the African
Union Commission and TWAS for each scientific sector. The value of
the African Union Women Scientists Regional Award shall be US$20,000
(Twenty thousand US Dollars) for each scientific sector, conferred by
the African Union Commission. The value of the Continental Scientific
Award shall be US$100,000 (One hundred thousand US Dollars) for each
scientific sector) conferred by the African Union Commission on the
award winners in each sector.
African Union Commission is committed to ensure that science and
technology contributes to our sustainable development efforts.
Constitutive Act, establishing the African Union, recognizes the need
to advance the development of Africa by promoting research in all
fields, and in science and technology in particular.
Commission, through its Department of Human Resources, Science and
Technology implements a strategic science and technology development
programme, aimed at contributing to the wellbeing and improved
quality of life for the African citizens. In January 2007, the AU
Heads of State and Government “declared 2007 as the launching year
for building constituencies and champions for science, technology and
innovation in Africa”.
African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards to be covered under
this scheme are: (i) AU-TWAS National Young Scientists Award at the
National Level; (ii) African Union Regional Women Scientists Award at
the AU Regional Level; and (iii) Continental Scientific Award at the
‣ Only nationals of the African Union (AU) Member States are eligible to participate in these Awards.
‣ For the African Union Regional Scientific Award for Women, applicants should have intensively published at least ten (10) SCI publications.
‣ For the Continental applicants should have at least twenty (20) SCI publications.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications should be sent (not by fax or e-mail) to the Implementing Authority as indicated.
‣ The Application forms are available from:
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : The application deadlines are 30 October 2015 for Regional Award and 15 November 2015 for Continental award. The deadline for receipt of applications for national level award by the national office in charge shall be determined according to the date on the application form.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.