2016 Wellcome Trust Masters Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine, and applications are submitted till August 2016 round : Application deadline: 30 August 2016; DecisionNovember 2016; March 2017 round 22 March 2017 & Decision: June 2017 Wellcome Trust is inviting applications for masters fellowships to undertake research training at Master’s degree level. Master’s degrees by distance learning can be supported. Fellows must be based in a low- or middle-income country for their research project. A Fellowship normally provides up to 30 months’ support. A period of 12 months should normally be dedicated to undertaking a taught Master’s course at a recognised centre of excellence, combined with up to 18 months to undertake a research project. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Eligible host institution in low- or middle-income countries (except in India)
degree level. Master’s degrees by distance learning can be
should be aimed at understanding and improving public health and
tropical medicine of local, national and global relevance. Public
health and tropical medicine cover a wide range of health problems,
including communicable and non-communicable diseases. Topics include:
demographic, social science and health economic studies ; ;
epidemiological, field and community-based studies ; healthcare
systems and policy research; measurement of infectious and chronic
disease burden; population studies; clinical trials and case-control
studies; studies of disease mechanisms in the natural host;
determinants of disease susceptibility and resistance; immunity or
resistance in natural hosts or vectors. This can include
laboratory-based molecular analysis of field or clinical samples, but
projects focused solely on studies in vitro or using animal models
will not normally be considered under this scheme.
Deadline: August 2016 round : Application deadline: 30 August 2016; DecisionNovember 2016; March 2017 round 22 March 2017 & Decision: June 2017
Groups): 2016 Wellcome
Trust Masters Fellowships are targeted for applicants of Afghanistan,
Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia,
Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia,
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso,
Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic,
Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa
Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic,
Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji,
Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea,
Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India,
Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan,
Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz
Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia,
FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,
Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova,
Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar,
Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda,
Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra
Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri
Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname,
Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand,
Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu,
Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West
Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe
Duration: A 2016 Wellcome
Trust Masters Fellowships normally provides up to 30 months’
support. A period of 12 months should normally be dedicated to
undertaking a taught Master’s course at a recognised centre of
excellence, combined with up to 18 months to undertake a research
undertaking a Master’s course, Fellows will receive:
-a stipend. Stipends are costed based on the Trust’s Masters students scales, determined by the location of the course (Inside London – £17 000 per year; UK Outside London – £15 000 per year; Outside the UK – applicants are advised to check with the prospective training institution regarding living costs; Other – for individual cases where additional funding may be required, e.g. dependants accompanying the awardee, please contact the Trust for advice).
travel costs (e.g. outward and return airfares)
support for approved tuition fees. Master’s course fees will be paid according to the rate charged by the training institution.
Masters training by distance learning is acceptable. The expectation is that the stipend levels awarded will be the net amount received by the student. If the stipend is liable for tax in the applicant’s country, please inform the Trust when the full application is submitted.
The Trust will provide costs to cover the taxed portion of the stipend to make sure that each student receives a stipend equal to the advertised levels. The following costs are provided for the Fellowship:
salary is provided for the duration of the Fellowship
project-dedicated research expenses (e.g. consumables, small items of equipment, collaborative travel and support to attend scientific meetings, fieldwork and data collection)
overseas allowances where appropriate
collaborative travel costs where appropriate
research management and support costs
Flexible Funding Allowance
an inflation allowance.
If the 2016 Wellcome Trust Masters Fellowships Fellow is already in receipt of a salary from the host institution, the host institution may use this salary to pay for a replacement member of staff while the Trust provides the Fellow’s salary/stipend for the duration of the Fellowship. It is not expected that the Fellow would receive a salary in addition to the one provided by the Trust.
This 2016 Wellcome Trust Masters Fellowships scheme strengthens scientific
research capacity in low- and middle-income countries, by providing
support for junior researchers to gain research experience and
high-quality research training at Master’s degree level.
‣ Research should be aimed at understanding and improving public health and tropical medicine of local, national and global relevance. Public health and tropical medicine cover a wide range of health problems, including communicable and non-communicable diseases.
‣ a national or legal resident of a low- and middle-income country and hold a first degree in subject relevant to tropical medicine or public health (clinical or non-clinical)
‣ at an early stage in your career, with limited research experience, but have a demonstrated interest in or aptitude for research.
‣ In general, Fellowships may be held in not-for-profit institutions that are able to sign up to our Grant Conditions. Institutions that have not previously received significant funding from us will be required to submit information to enable us to assess eligibility. Applications will not be considered by a decision-making committee until all eligibility checks have been completed.
‣ Fellows must be based in a low- or middle-income country for their research project. The Trust does not provide Master’s schemes for UK/RoI-based researchers.
Notification for 2016 Wellcome Trust Masters Fellowships
‣ Final decision by Interview Committee will be in June 2015.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Launched a new grants system to replace eGrants, our current electronic application system. If you plan to submit an application to the 30 August 2016 deadline, please use WT Grant Tracker to complete your application.
‣ Please note that you will be able to start completing your application form in WT Grant Tracker now, but you will not be able to submit it to the Trust until after 18 August, when the system will be open for submissions.
‣ The application should include details of your sponsor’s track record in training and a list of their other students at the institution.
‣ It must be supported by the head of the institution where the research will be based, and a career plan for the proposed candidate must be included.
‣ The full application will be reviewed by the relevant Interview Committee, which makes the final decision. Please note that candidates are not interviewed for these Fellowships.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date August 2016 round : Application deadline: 30 August 2016; DecisionNovember 2016; March 2017 round 22 March 2017 & Decision: June 2017
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.