2016 Sumitro Fellowship program for Indonesian and US applicants. Applications are open until January 31, 2016. USINDO is funding fellowship program for postdoctoral scholars, PhD candidates, senior academics and otherwise professionally qualified candidates to engage in field research. he Sumitro Fellows Program is a $10,000 travel/study grant. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA and Indonesia
Field(s): Fellowship is available for research relating to the political economy of Indonesia (for a United States citizen/permanent resident) and a project related to the Indonesian-United States relationship (for an Indonesian citizen).
Funded By: USINDO
Deadline: January 31, 2016
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2016 Sumitro Fellowship program is targeted for Indonesian and US applicants.
‣ Award No: One Fellowship is available for a United States citizen/permanent resident for research relating to the political economy of Indonesia. Another Fellowship is also available for an Indonesian citizen with a project related to the Indonesian-United States relationship.
‣ Scholarship covers: The 2016 Sumitro Fellowship Program is a $10,000 travel/study grant for post-doctoral scholars, PhD candidates, senior academics, and otherwise professionally qualified candidates to engage in field research.
Sumitro Fellows Program honors Dr. Sumitro Djojohadikusumo,
Indonesia’s senior economist and co-founder of USINDO, who passed
away in 2001.
architect of Indonesia’s modern economy, Professor Sumitro headed
the faculty of economics at the University of Indonesia, and was
later a minister of trade and minister of state for research.
Sumitro was also the driving force behind a 1950’s program of the
Ford Foundation which sent Indonesian economists to the U.S. for
advanced degrees. Many attended the University of California at
Berkeley and the group came to be known as the “Berkeley Mafia”
when its members assumed key cabinet posts in subsequent decades.
outside the scope of economic or political economy will not be
considered. Indonesian applicants for the Sumitro Fellowship must be
Indonesian citizens with a specific project on any aspect of the
Indonesian-U.S. bilateral relationship.
related to solely American topics, Indonesian topics, or to
non-U.S./non-Asian themes will not be considered.
Proficiency: Please note that though not compulsory, prior study of
Bahasa Indonesia is helpful in conducting field research. American
applicants should indicate on the application form if and at what
level the language has been studied, both formally and informally.
applicants must be capable of advanced study in English. Evidence of
English fluency may be demonstrated by TOEFL scores.
who have graduated from a U.S. institution of higher learning, or
from such institution in an English-speaking country, are exempt from
who intend to publish their work in some form will be improving their
applications. Previous travel to, and experience in, Indonesia or the
United States is desirable but not necessary.
Scholarship Application Method
submit all application materials via email to sumitro-at-usindo.org.
applications and/or applications and recommendation letters received
after the deadline will not be considered.
‣ All of the following must be completed in order to be considered for the 2016 Sumitro Fellowship Program:
‣ Scholarship Applications Due Date:
• Application Form: Please submit a completed and signed application form*.
• Field Research Abstract: Please provide a one to five page single-spaced abstract of your intended research.
• Curriculum Vitae or Resume: Please submit a curriculum vitae (not to exceed 10 pages) or resume providing full citations of all publications, with the most recently published item listed first.
• Recommendation Letters: Two (2) recommendation letters are required. One recommendation letter must be from a dissertation advisor, senior faculty member, or other comparable advisor. Please advise your referees to send the recommendation letter directly to Sumitro@usindo.org on or before January 31, 2016. Applicants have the responsibility of requesting and reminding their referees to directly send their recommendation letters by the required deadline.
• Waiver of Responsibility: Please submit a signed waiver of responsibility.
• Supplemental Information: In addition to the above information, the review committee will consider supplemental information such as writing samples, course syllabi, etc. Faculty members and lecturers are welcome to submit course syllabi that do not exceed five pages.
forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
is important to read the application procedure, and visit the
official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how
to apply for