2018 Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship for Master’s Students in Japan, and applications are submitted till no later than January 31, 2018 (People’s Republic of China) and March 31, 2018 (Vietnam and Malaysia). Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship Foundation is offering masters scholarships for students from People’s Republic of China, Vietnam or Malaysia at a Japanese university. The applicant shall be free to choose his/her own field of study, excluding medicine, dentistry and veterinary science. Scholarships are awarded for the duration of three years, including one year of Japanese language study at a Japanese language school specified by the foundation or one year of auditing a postgraduate course, followed by two years of graduate level study. Selected applicants who have not yet learned the Japanese language are required to pursue Japanese language study at a language school in his/her home country prior to coming to Japan. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Japan
Level: Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship is available to purse a course of study and research, with Japanese as the medium of instruction, in a master’s course at a Japanese university.
Field(s): The applicant shall be free to choose his/her own field of study, excluding medicine, dentistry and veterinary science.
Deadline: no later than January 31, 2018 (People’s Republic of China) and March 31, 2018 (Vietnam and Malaysia).
Funded By: Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2017 Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship is targeted for Citizens of the People’s Republic of China, Vietnam or Malaysia
‣ Award No: For students from People’s Republic of China, there are two scholarships and from Vietnam and Malaysia, there is only one scholarship available.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The period of the 2016 Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship will be three years, including one year of Japanese language study at a Japanese language school specified by the foundation or one year of auditing a postgraduate course, followed by two years of graduate level study. The scholarship shall be terminated if the selected applicant failed to gain admission to a graduate school at a Japanese university within one year after his/her arrival in Japan. Selected applicants who have not yet learned the Japanese language are required to pursue Japanese language study at a language school in his/her home country prior to coming to Japan. The foundation shall bear the language school tuition fees for six months, in addition to entrance fees.
‣ Scholarship covers: - 2018 Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship Amount: Postgraduate student (graduate school): ¥120,000/month and Auditor of graduate course or during Japanese Language study : ¥100,000/month
-School and Examination Fees: The foundation shall cover all required entrance and tuition fees (average sum of ¥700,000/year). Cost of study materials, on the other hand, shall be covered by the selected applicant. The foundation shall bear school examination fees and all other related expenses.
-Outfit Allowance: ¥100,000 shall be paid as funds for initial expenses to begin living and studying in Japan. ¥20,000 as part of the above amount shall be handed in the selected applicant’s own country when he/she receives the certificate of the scholarship. Part of this amount shall be paid in US dollars in order to cover all correspondence fees with the foundation before coming to Japan. The remaining amount, on the other hand, will be paid in Japanese yen in order to cover all traffic expenses to reach the dormitory when the selected applicant arrives in Japan. -Travelling Expenses: ANA airline tickets shall be provided to the selected applicant for travelling to and from Japan, respectively to be used at the time of commencing studies and upon completion of their scholarship program. A round-trip ANA airline ticket shall also be provided to the selected applicant once during the second year of the scholarship period for home visit purposes to his/her country. -Residence: The foundation shall provide, free of charge, one room in the ANA dormitory for each of selected applicants who live in Kawasaki or Tokyo. Facilities include a single room of about 14 square meters with air-conditioning and heating, lights, desk and chair, bed and bedding, closet, telephone outlet A dining hall (food expenses to be borne by the selected applicant) Cooking facilities (shared) and Bathroom and washing machines (shared). Others: -Counseling: The foundation shall provide information and consultation services on matters related to living in Japan and on university examinations. Traveling in Japan 1st year : a trip to Okayama, local area in Japan (Travel expenses, boarding and lodging expenses to be borne by the foundation) 2nd year: a trip to Kyoto and Nara (Travel expenses, boarding and lodging expenses to be borne by the foundation) a ski trip to Hokkaido (Travel expenses, boarding and lodging expenses to be borne by the foundation) 3rd year: travel after the completion of study in Japan. An ANA domestic round-trip domestic airline ticket shall be provided to the selected applicant for travel to any one place in Japan (with Supplementary travel expenses of a maximum of ¥100,000). -Medical Expenses: Foundation requires all the students to take out the mandatory National Health Insurance. The insurance will cover 70% of your medical expenses, meaning that you will need to pay 30%. However, the students must pay the premium expenses of the mandatory National Health Insurance, which is approximately 1000 yen per month.
‣ The Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship Foundation was established in March 1990 to contribute to world peace and development by fostering people from the People’s Republic of China and other countries in Asia.
‣ This foundation strives to promote mutual understanding and international exchange as well as to pay homage to and immortalize the spirit of Okazaki Kaheita, a man who worked for mutual understanding, peace, and world friendship.
‣ In order to promote friendship between Japan and Asian countries and to further the personal development of people in these countries, the foundation provides scholarships to students from Asian countries who wish to study in graduate schools in Japan.
‣ Anyone who supports the objectives of the foundation to build his/her own country and to promote international friendship, is outstanding in personality and ability, in sound health and is deemed to be in need of financial assistance for educational expenses and who meets the following qualifications:
‣ Be a citizen of the People’s Republic of China, Vietnam or Malaysia
‣ Be a resident of the People’s Republic of China, Vietnam or Malaysia on April 1, 2018.
‣ Be born after April 2 1991.
‣ Academic Qualifications: Must have graduated from a university designated by their foundation prior to March 31, 2018 and be able to obtain a letter of recommendation from his/her supervising professor. The applicants are also required to have completed a total of 16 years of education at recognized educational facilities.
‣ Major: The field of study selected by the applicant must be the same as his/her major at the undergraduate level. (Preferably, the applicant should have selected the university of his/her choice and the supervising professor under whom he/her wishes to pursue graduate studies). The applicant’s proposed research theme should be suitable for study at the graduate level in a Japanese university.
‣ Language ability: Must be able to understand graduate level lectures taught in Japanese or English. Selected applicants who have not yet learned Japanese are required to attend a Japanese language course at a language school for 6 months (approximately 500 hours) prior to coming to Japan. Furthermore, the selected applicant shall be required to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test held annually by the Japan Foundation.
‣ Dwelling: Must principally be willing to live in the ANA dormitory. Note: The foundation thinks it desirable for the students to live in the ANA dormitory not only for the purpose of saving living expenses but also for the purpose of associating daily with young Japanese people living in the same facility.
‣ Others: The foundation deems it most suitable that the selected applicant come to Japan alone without his/her family) to study under their program. The student must live alone (without his/her family) for the first year in Japan.
After one year it is possible for the selected student to live with his/her family if he/she wished to do so, but the foundation cannot give any assistance for his/her family. Note: It is generally very hard for students from abroad to live and study in Japan with his/her family, as the student will meet many difficulties such as the high cost of living, housing problems and language difficulty.
Selection Criteria for Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship
‣ The initial selection of scholarship applicants shall be based on submitted documents. These shall include documents verifying the achievements in research conducted by the applicant in the past, the proposed research theme, academic record at undergraduate level and a recommendation from the applicant’s supervising professor.
‣ Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship Applicants selected on the basis of documentary selection shall, as a rule, be required to attend an interview, present a short thesis and take an academic competence examination. These shall be held in the applicant’s own country.
‣ The selection committee shall consist of professors who are currently teaching at Japanese universities.
‣ The applicant shall have a choice of Japanese or English for interview purposes. Applicants shall not be allowed to raise any objections against the result of the selection announced in documents by the foundation.
Notification for Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship
‣ Results of the selection will be informed at the latest by the end of March 20158(People’s Republic of China) and the end of May 2018 (Vietnam and Malaysia).
‣ The applicant must complete the official application form provided by foundation and submit it along with all other specified documentation. The form must be completed in accordance with the “Instructions for Filling in the Application Form.” Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
‣ Required documents for Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: All applications must reach the Okazaki Kaheita International Scholarship Foundation no later than January 31, 2018 (People’s Republic of China) and March 31, 2018 (Vietnam and Malaysia).
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.