2018 Nieman Foundation Fellowships for International Applicants in USA , and applications are submitted till Dec. 1, 2017 International Fellowships; U.S. Fellowships: Jan. 31, 2018. The Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard is inviting applications for fellowships to work on special research projects designed to advance journalism. Up to 12 fellowships are offered. US citizens and journalists from other countries may apply for this fellowship. Nieman fellowships are awarded to print, broadcast and online reporters, editors, photographers, producers, columnists, filmmakers and cartoonists with at least five years of full-time, professional experience in the news media. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
are awarded to individuals interested in working on special research
projects designed to advance journalism
( These visiting fellowships are offered for special research
Funded By: The Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2017 Nieman Foundation Fellowships are targeted for U.S. and international applicants
‣ Award No: The Nieman Foundation selects up to 12 International fellows each year.
applicants are invited to the Nieman Foundation for a period ranging
from a few weeks to three months, depending on the scope of the
project and for Nine month.
with other longer-term Nieman fellowships, a Visiting Fellow’s
employer is encouraged to extend the employee’s salary and benefits
during the period of study. If such funding is not available, a
standard Nieman stipend will be provided to the Visiting Fellow and
prorated for the length of the fellowship. The Nieman Foundation will
also help candidates find temporary housing in the Cambridge
The Nieman-Berkman Fellow will receive the standard Nieman
Fellowship stipend from the Nieman Foundation, which is $65,000 over
nine months. Fellows receive additional allowances for housing,
childcare, and health insurance, which differ in size depending on
their family situation.
1938 more than 1,400 journalists from 92 countries and territories
have come to Harvard for a year of learning, exploration and
‣ 2016 Nieman Foundation Fellowships are awarded to print, broadcast and online reporters, editors, photographers, producers, columnists, filmmakers and cartoonists with at least five years of full-time, professional experience in the news media. Other professionals interested in researching projects designed to advance journalism may be eligible for short-term Visiting Fellowships.
‣ Nieman Fellowships are open to both U.S. citizens and journalists from other countries.
be practicing journalists, but must demonstrate the ways in which
their work at Harvard and the Nieman Foundation may improve the
prospects for journalism’s future.
‣ This may be related to research, programming, design, financial strategies or another topic. U.S. and international applicants are welcome.
‣ Those who should consider applying include publishers, programmers, Web designers, media analysts, academics, journalists and others interested in enhancing quality, building new business models or designing programs to improve journalism.
‣ The proposed project may be completed during the time spent at Harvard or be part of a larger undertaking.
‣ All visiting fellows are expected to be in residence in Cambridge during their study and present their findings to the Nieman community at the end of their research period.
‣ The 2017 Nieman Foundation Fellowships are open to both United States citizens and citizens of other countries.
The Nieman-Berkman Fellowship: Candidates should either be working journalists or work for a news organization in a business, technology, or leadership capacity.
journalists are also welcome to apply.
The Nieman Foundation and
the Berkman Center share a commitment to diversity and encourage
applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Scholarship Application Method
All Nieman Fellowship applicants must complete an online application form. Candidates for full academic-year fellowships must submit the following information as part of their package: two essays; a professional profile and study plan; work samples and three letters of recommendation.
Questions about the application process may be sent to fellowship program administrator Nicole Arias.
Note that candidates for the Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship in Journalism Innovationshould complete either the international fellowship application or the U.S. fellowship application and indicate interest in being considered for a Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship in the appropriate section.
Please note that the deadline for the 2018 Knight Visiting Nieman Fellowships has passed. Information about applying for 2019 visiting fellowships will be posted in mid-2018.
forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
is important to read the application procedure, and visit the
official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how
to apply for