2016 New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards , and The application deadline is 15 April 2016 for paper application and 30 April 2016 for online application. Applications are invited for 2016 New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards. These awards are open for postgraduate study at one of the participating tertiary institution in New Zealand. Grants are awarded for the whole duration of the programme. Scholarships are open for the national from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Criteria for awards for Brunei and Singapore are set by Victoria University of Wellington. Application timelines can vary depending on the country. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | New Zealand
Level: Awards are available for pursuing Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma, Masters Degree and PhD Degree Program at New Zealand institutions. Applicants from Brunei and Singapore will pursue PhD study at Victoria University of Wellington.
Field(s): : Applicants from all fields are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given as follows (except for For Brunei and Singapore): Agriculture Development, Renewable Energy, English Language Teaching, Disaster Risk Management, Public Sector Management and Private Sector Development.
Deadline: The application deadline is 15 April 2016 for paper application and 30 April 2016 for online application.
Funded By: New Zealand Aid Programme, the New Zealand Government’s international development programme.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2016 New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards are targeted for applications for New Zealand-ASEAN Scholar Awards are welcome from the following countries:
Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: NZPS are awarded for the whole duration of the programme i.e. 6 months for postgraduate certificate, 1 year for postgraduate diploma, 1 – 2 years for Masters Degree and 3 – 4 years for PhD program. As part of your New Zealand ASEAN Scholarship, you may be eligible to undertake English Language Training in Cambodia for up to one year prior to taking up your study in New Zealand.
‣ Scholarship covers: The entitlements of the 2016 New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards include full tuition fees, a living allowance (paid fortnightly), an establishment allowance, medical and travel insurance, travel between your home country and New Zealand at the start and end of your scholarship, home leave or reunion travel for some eligible scholars, pastoral and academic support at your institution, and assistance with research and thesis costs for most postgraduate research students.
‣ The 2016 New Zealand-ASEAN Scholar Awards (NZAS) recognise New Zealand’s close cultural, economic, and geographic ties with Southeast Asia.
‣ They seek to empower individuals with the knowledge, skills and qualifications to contribute to the economic, social, and political development of their region.
‣ NZAS are offered for postgraduate level study. NZAS are funded by the New Zealand Aid Programme, the New Zealand Government’s international aid and development programme. They are managed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
‣ Be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing your scholarship.
‣ Be a citizen of the country from which you are applying for a scholarship.
‣ Not have citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, European Union countries, United Kingdom, Japan, Israel, South Korea, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia.
‣ Important note: this condition does not apply to applicants from the Cook Islands, Tokelau or Niue, or applicants from Samoa with dual Samoa-NZ citizenship.
‣ Have resided in your home country for at least two years immediately prior to commencing your scholarship.
‣ Important note:this condition does not apply to applicants who are members of the diplomatic corps or their dependants, and may not apply to applicants for Short Term Scholarships.
‣ Have at least 2 years of work experience (part time or fulltime, paid or voluntary).
‣ Important note:this condition does not apply to applicants from the Pacific who are applying for a pre-service scholarship -Not be serving military personnel.
‣ Be able to satisfy Immigration requirements for international student entry to New Zealand or the country in which you will undertake your scholarship (i.e. medical checks, police clearances/character checks, etc.)
‣ Be academically and linguistically able to obtain an Offer of Place for the proposed programme of study from the tertiary institute where you will undertake your scholarship.
‣ Not have been previously terminated from a New Zealand Government Scholarship
‣ Seek a qualification that will contribute to the sustainable development of your home country
‣ Commit to return to your country for a minimum of 2 years at the end of your scholarship.
Selection Criteria for 2016 New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards
‣ Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate strong academic ability, leadership qualities, and a commitment to the development of their home country. Preference is also given to candidates who are 39 years of age or younger at the time of commencing their scholarship.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Apply for an Offer of Place (admission) at your preferred one of the ten eligible New Zealand education institutions using their usual application process for international students.
‣ Once you receive admission to a New Zealand institution, download the New Zealand Scholarships application form and complete all sections.
‣ Submit 2 copies of your completed application form, with all attachments and supporting documents (including an Offer of Place) by the deadline to their respective New Zealand Embassy.
‣ The applications and selection process for applicants from Brunei and Singapore will be managed by Victoria University of Wellington.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : Application timelines can vary depending on the country.
Brunei: 1st July 2015 ; Cambodia: 30 April 2015 ; Indonesia: 30 April 2015 ; Lao PDR: 31 March 2015 ; Myanmar: 31 July 2015 ; Malaysia: 31 July 2015 ; Philippines: 31 July 2015 ; Singapore: 1st July 2015 ; Thailand: 31 July 2015 ; Vietnam: 30 June 2015
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.