2016 Miller Research Fellowship at University of California in USA , and applications are submitted till September 10, 2015. Applications are invited for Miller research fellowship department chairs, faculty advisors, professors and research scientists at Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science around the world. Approximately eight to ten Fellowships are granted for a period of three years. The Fellowship term must commence between July 1 and September 1, 2016. Fellowships are intended for exceptional young scientists of great promise who have recently been awarded, or who are about to be awarded, the doctoral degree. Fellows are selected on the basis of their academic achievement and the promise of their scientific research. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Field(s): basic sciences
Deadline: September 10, 2015.
Funded By: The Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science, University of California
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2016 Miller Research Fellowship is targeted for applicants from around the world
‣ Award No: Approximately eight to ten Fellowships are awarded each year.
‣ Scholarship Tenure : 2016 Miller Research Fellowship is granted for a period of three years, generally beginning August 1 and ending on July 31. Starting dates are negotiable but must commence between July 1 and September 1.
‣ Scholarship covers: The Institute provides a stipend of $65,000 with annual increases on subsequent anniversary dates. This stipend is not to be construed as salary for teaching or for duties rendered to the University of California.
Miller Fellows also receive a research fund of $10,000 per annum to be used in support of research during the Miller Fellowship, for a total compensation package of $75,000.
‣ The Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science invites department chairs, faculty advisors, professors and research scientists at institutions around the world to submit online nominations for Miller Research Fellowships in the basic sciences.
‣ The Miller Institute seeks to discover and encourage individuals of outstanding talent, and to provide them with the opportunity to pursue their research on the Berkeley campus. Fellows are selected on the basis of their academic achievement and the promise of their scientific research. Miller Fellows also have a keen curiosity about all science and share an appreciation for an interdisciplinary experience.
‣ The Miller Institute is the sponsor and the administrative home department for each Miller Fellow who is hosted by an academic department on the Berkeley campus. All research is performed in the facilities provided by the host UC Berkeley academic department(s).
‣ A short period as a post-doctoral fellow elsewhere does not exclude eligibility. However, candidates who have already completed substantial postdoctoral training are unlikely to be successful except in unusual circumstances.
‣ Postdocs cannot have had more than five years of postdoctoral experience, including from other institutions, nor been employed as an assistant professor, associate professor or professor in order to be eligible.
‣ A nominee cannot hold a paid or unpaid position on the Berkeley campus at the time of nomination or throughout the competition and award cycle, which can run into February.
‣ Nominees who are non-US citizens must show eligibility for obtaining J-1 Scholar visa status for the duration of the Miller Fellowship. Non-US citizens will be required to prove English language proficiency prior to award.
‣ The Miller Institute does not support H1B visa status. The 2016 Miller Research Fellowship term must commence between July 1 and September 1, 2016. Eligible nominees will be invited by the Institute to apply for the fellowship.
‣ The nominee’s email address becomes the candidate’s unique ID, so please confirm your nominee’s preferred and correct email address. Direct applications and self-nominations are not accepted. All nominations must be submitted online.
Selection Criteria for 2016 Miller Research Fellowship
‣ Fellows are selected on the basis of their academic achievement and the promise of their scientific research.
‣ Candidates will be notified of the results of the competition between mid-December and mid-February, and a general announcement of the awards will be made in the spring.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Nominations are accepted from department chairs, faculty advisors, professors or research scientists who can attest to the scientific potential of the Miller Fellow candidate.
‣ Nominations are accepted from individuals at institutions around the world, and are not limited to faculty at the University of California.
‣ Nominations cannot be made by an individual candidate, a student or a postdoc. Nominations will be accepted beginning in May. To be considered, complete nominations must be submitted online using the Application Form by September 10, 2015.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : Miller Fellowship Nominations are due no later than Thursday, September 10, 2015. Invited nominees will be asked to complete an online application due no later than Saturday, October 10, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.