2017 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries, Japan , and applications are submitted till 2017•04•28. Applications are invited for UNU scholarships available for applicants from developing countries to undertake PhD program in Sustainability Science. A limited number of PhD scholarships (covering tuition fees and living costs) for a maximum of 36 months are awarded for outstanding applicants who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance. Applicants must have completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and have a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes. STARTING DATE: 2017•09•01. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Japan
Level: PhD degree
Field(s): Sustainability Science. For information on the specific courses offered as part of this degree programme, please visit the the curriculum information page on the UNU-IAS online learning website.
Deadline: 28 April 2017
Funded By: Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU), Japan
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2017 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships are targeted for Students from developing countries (Afghanistan, Gambia, Mozambique, Bangladesh, The Guinea, Myanmar, Benin, Guinea-Bisau, Nepal, Burkina Faso, Haiti, Niger, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Cambodia, Korea, Dem Rep., Sierra Leone, Central African Republic, Kyrgyz Republic, Somalia, Liberia, Tajikistan, Comoros, Madagascar, Tanzania, Malawi, Togo, Congo, Dem. Rep, Eritrea, Mali, Uganda, Ethiopia, Mauritania, Zimbabwe,Albania, Indonesia, Samoa, Armenia, India, São Tomé and Principe, Belize, Iraq, Senegal, Bhutan, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Bolivia, Kosovo, South Sudan, Cameroon, Lao PDR, Sri Lanka, Cape Verde, Lesotho, Sudan, Congo, Rep., Marshall Islands, Swaziland, Côte d’Ivoire, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Syrian Arab Republic, Djibouti, Moldova, Timor-Leste, Egypt, Arab Rep., Mongolia, Tonga, El Salvador, Morocco, Ukraine, Fiji, Nicaragua,
Uzbekistan, Georgia, Nigeria, Vanuatu, Ghana, Pakistan, Vietnam, Guatemala, Papua New Guinea, West Bank and Gaza, Guyana, Paraguay, Yemen, Rep., Honduras, Philippines, Zambia, Angola, Ecuador, Palau, Algeria, Gabon, Panama, American Samoa, Grenada, Peru, Antigua and Barbuda, Iran, Islamic Rep., Romania, Argentina, Jamaica, Russian Federation, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Serbia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Seychelles, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Latvia, South Africa, Botswana, Lebanon, St. Lucia, Brazil, Libya, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Suriname, Chile, Macedonia, FYR, Thailand, China, Malaysia, Tunisia, Colombia, Maldives, Turkey, Costa Rica, Mauritius, Turkmenistan, Cuba, Mexico, Tuvalu, Dominica, Montenegro and Uruguay) can apply for these UNU scholarships.
‣ Award No: A limited number of PhD scholarships will be awarded.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships will be offered for a maximum of 36 months.
‣ Scholarship covers: The 2017 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships covers the full tuition fees and provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
‣ The PhD programme in Sustainability Science aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science.
programme takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to
promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global
change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and
programme will equip graduates with comprehensive, multidisciplinary
knowledge of sustainability problems, and deepen their understanding
of the role of environmental sustainability in addressing current
issues related to global change.
undertake problem-oriented research, acquiring the quantitative and
qualitative analytical research skills necessary to understand the
underlying principles of various systems involved in sustainability
issues and debates.
coursework and research, PhD students gain critical thinking and
problem-solving skills, as well as the technical literacy required to
address sustainability problems.
for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met all of
the following requirements by the application deadline in
order to be considered:
interest in sustainability studies;
‣ Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability
studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience
related to UNU-IAS research themes or
completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in
disciplines related to sustainability studies;
‣ Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2015 – may also apply.
‣ A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale on at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
language proficiency: The minimum score requirements for English
language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are: 600 in TOEFL –
Paper-Based Testing (PBT); 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based
Testing (IBT) and 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format
Selection Criteria for 2017 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships
PhD scholarships will be awarded to outstanding applicants from
developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ During admission selection process, outstanding applicants from developing countries with financial need will be automatically considered as candidates for the award of scholarships at UNU-IAS. Thus, no separate application is necessary.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 28 April 2017
STARTING DATE: 2017•09•01
APPLICATIONS DUE: 2017•04•28
For information on the specific courses offered as part of this degree programme, please visit the the curriculum information page on the UNU-IAS online learning website.
Application forms and
guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.