M Vest NAE Grand Challenges for Engineering International Scholarship
Program in USA , 2017/2018 , and applications are submitted till 15
October 2016. Applications
are invited for vest scholarships available for international
graduate students to work and study at one of nine US
universities. These Vest Scholarships offer applicants the
opportunity to spend a year at a leading US engineering school
pursuing research to address one of the 14 NAE Grand Challenges for
Engineering. Applicants must be currently enrolled and in good
standing in an eligible graduate-level (master’s or doctoral)
engineering or engineering-related program at the time of application
and during the scholarship year. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
students for carrying out research at one of nine US
are awarded to students currently enrolled in engineering or
engineering-related program for research in or more of the areas
described in the 14 NAE Grand Challenges for Engineering.
Academy of Engineering (UK), National Academy of Engineering (US) and
Chinese Academy of Engineering
2016 Charles M Vest NAE Grand Challenges are tageted for
‣ Award No: For the 2015-2016 year, there will be one Vest Scholarship offered at each of the nine partner institutions.
are awarded for the 12-month duration.
Vest Scholarships offer applicants:
-The opportunity to spend a
year at a leading US engineering school pursuing research to address
one of the 14 NAE Grand Challenges for Engineering;
travel expenses and tuition covered by the host institution for the
12-month duration of the scholarship
-An opportunity to perform
research in the laboratory of a leading faculty scholar;
relevant engineering classes and academic credit toward their
graduate degrees (subject to the policies of the host institution and
agreement between the host institution and student’s
The 2016 Charles M Vest NAE Grand Challenges for Engineering International
Scholarship Program offers an unprecedented opportunity for
international graduate students to work and study at one of nine US
universities performing leading research in one or more of the areas
described in the US National Academy of Engineering (NAE) Grand
Challenges for Engineering.
goals of the US Charles M Vest NAE Grand Challenges are to
provide a platform to exchange ideas, share problem-solving skills
and strengthen international relationships in order to advance
progress in some of the most critical global challenges in the
‣ Applicants must be currently enrolled and in good standing in an eligible graduate-level (master’s or doctoral) engineering or engineering-related program at the time of application and during the scholarship year.
‣ Exception: PhD graduates from eligible schools who are interested in careers in engineering education may apply for a post-doctoral Vest Scholarship at Olin College in the Grand Challenge area 13, Advancing personalized learning. Olin will also accept applications from current post-docs at eligible schools.
‣ Applications will be accepted from students at non-U.S. institutions that participated in the 2013 NAE/Royal Academy of Engineering/Chinese Academy of Engineering Global Grand Challenges Summit held in London.
Selection Criteria 2016 Charles M Vest NAE Grand Challenges
‣ Winning statements will be those that present the most compelling and potentially impactful proposal, and that map best onto Grand Challenge activities at the participating institutions.
‣ Students’ academic aptitude and potential for success will also be an important part of the selection process.
‣ Applicants will be notified by February 15, 2017 .
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications will be submitted online.
‣ Applicants will be asked to submit a personal statement proposing a one-year research and study plan that addresses one of the 14 NAE Grand Challenges for Engineering.
‣ To complete the application, you will need to provide:
-scanned electronic transcripts from all post-secondary school education
-two letters of recommendation, including one from the dean/head of engineering at your current graduate institution and one from another faculty member familiar with your work.
‣ You will be asked to provide an e-mail address for each recommender; we will then contact them to supply the recommendation
-personal statement of up to 1,000 words describing why you wish to conduct research in the Grand Challenge area you have selected.
‣ Include information on previous experience that has prepared you to conduct this research and how you think the Grand Challenge Scholarship opportunity will help you advance in this work.
‣ Optiomal: recent scores on the quantitative, verbal and writing Graduate Record Examinations (please provide scores if available).
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15t October 2016 .
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.