2016 BGHS Start-up Scholarships for International Students in Germany, and applications are submitted till January 15, 2017. Applications are invited for six-month doctoral scholarships available for international graduate students in the area of history, sociology, anthropology or political science at Bielefeld Graduate School. The grant consists of a stipend of 1,200 Euros per month. Recipients receive the opportunity to prepare a convincing proposal for a dissertation project. Successful candidates may subsequently apply for a doctoral scholarship, for employment or for a doctoral degree programme at the BGHS or elsewhere. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): Bielefeld University | Germany
Level: Doctoral Degree
Deadline: 15th January 2017.
Funded By: Bielefeld University, Germany
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2016 BGHS Start-up Scholarships are targeted for International applicants (Non German)
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: These doctoral
scholarships are awarded for a period of six-month.
‣ Scholarship covers: The grant consists of a stipend of 1,200 euros per month. This amount will be supplemented by an allowance for children if applicable. Upon application, travel costs can also be covered by the Graduate School. Moreover, the BGHS will offer a study programme tailored to the particular needs of international MA graduates. Scholarship holders will participate in workshops on German academia as well as on writing a project description. Frequent exchange with peer researchers, BGHS staff, and professors facilitates guidance and support during these six months. Scholarship holders will also take part in a German or English class at PunktUm.
2017 BGHS awards six-month start-up scholarships to international MA
graduates who would like to pursue a doctoral degree in history,
sociology, anthropology, or political science. Recipients receive the
opportunity to prepare a convincing proposal for a dissertation
‣ Successful BGHS Start-up Scholarships candidates may subsequently apply for a doctoral scholarship, for employment or for a doctoral degree programme at the BGHS or elsewhere.
‣ Graduates from abroad who wish to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science may apply for a start-up scholarship. We welcome applications from pre-doctoral researchers.
‣ Applicants should speak either German or English. Neither German nationals nor foreigners with a tertiary education from a German university may apply.
‣ The start-up scholarships are meant to further networking with scientists at the BGHS, therefore no prolonged archival or research trips should take place during this period.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ All application documents should be either in German or in English. Please email them as one PDF file to application-bghs-at-uni-bielefeld.de with the subject heading “Start-up Scholarships”.
‣ Please submit the following documents:
-Letter of intent with a description of your interest in a start-up scholarship at the BGHS. Please include the areas of research that interest you and one professor with whom you would like to build a relationship (400 words max.).
‣ The letter of intent should also state where you learned German or English and how long you studied the language.
‣ Curriculum vitae;
‣ Summary of your MA thesis (700 words max.)
‣ Research proposal in the field of history, sociology, anthropology, or political science (700 words max.);
Letter of recommendation from your supervisor/advisor at your university;
‣ Master’s certificate or a statement from your examination office that you have successfully completed your Master’s studies.
‣ All your grades, including the grade for your Master’s thesis, must be displayed in this statement.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15th January 2017 .
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.