2018 Canon Collins Scholarships for Postgraduate Study in South Africa , and applications are submitted till Monday 21 August 2017. Canon Collins Trust invites applications for scholarships to pursue postgraduate study in South Africa in 2018. The students of Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe can apply for these scholarships. To apply for a scholarship under this programme applicant must be studying or applying to study at a South African university. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): South African university |South Africa
Level: master’s or doctoral degree level
Applications for courses that are not within these areas (for example MBAs, medical sciences, sports sciences, applied sciences) will be rejected.
Deadline: Monday 21 August 2017.
Funded By: Canon Collins Trust
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Canon Collins Scholarships are students of Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbawe
‣ No. of awards: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Tenure : There is no set number. The Trust makes awards on the basis of available funding and suitable applicants. It is, however, highly competitive. In recent years we have made awards to fewer than 5% of those who applied. Please apply only if you meet all the criteria.
‣Value of Scholarship :In 2018 most awards will be valued at R70,000 for each year of study at Masters and PhD level. In exceptional cases we may offer up to R100,000 per year. We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
Eligible applicants will automatically be considered for these named scholarships:
‣ Canon Collins Trust seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working to create an open and just society. In early 2018 the Trust revised its South African scholarship awards policy. We will provide funding for up to a maximum of two years for Masters and three years for PhD. Continued funding depends upon satisfactory progress and academic reports.
‣ be a national of, or have refugee status in, one of the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe
‣ be normally resident in one of the above countries
‣ be in possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
‣ be studying or applying to study at a South African university
Please download and read the guidelines carefully before applying for this scholarship.
Selection criteria for Canon Collins Scholarships
‣ In selecting scholars, the Trust will apply a number of criteria including academic merit, need and the potential to contribute to open and just societies in southern Africa.
‣ Applicants for all schemes within the 2016 SA Scholarship Programme will be assessed on the basis of the information that they supply on their application form against the criteria outlined below: CCSA Scholarship 2017Application Guidelines
1. Academic Record and References Applicants should have a minimum of an upper second-class (merit) undergraduate or Honours degree and excellent references.
2. Future impact All applicants need to articulate how the scholarship and their studies will enable them to contribute to open and just societies in southern Africa.
3. Work Experience We favour applications where there is a demonstrable continuity between applicant’s past study and career and their proposed course of study.
4. Leadership Competencies Canon Collins places a great deal of emphasis upon the leadership potential of individuals. Applicants will be asked to demonstrate how they have developed their leadership skills in the workplace, academia or in their personal life. Priority will be given to those who can describe an occasion/s in which they have used their skills to formulate a shared vision or strategy, build strategic relationships and networks, support peers and mentor others, and/or deliver results.
5. Alignment with the Trust’s priorities We will favour applicants who most clearly demonstrate that their proposed course and future plans align with the Trust’s priorities.
Notification for Canon Collins Scholarships
‣ Please do not email us to ask about the outcome of your application. All notifications will be by email so please make sure you provide an accurate email address. We will be interviewing shortlisted applicants by telephone in October 2015. We will let you know the outcome of your application in November 2017.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ When we are open for applications you will be able to access the online application form here. You will find full instructions online when you start a new form.
All sections of the form need to be complete before the system will allow the application form to be submitted. Information can be saved and the application form edited until the applicant chooses to submit. All applicants are required to upload the following supporting documentation:
You may also need to submit:
Filling in the form
Please remember that someone else will read your application. Therefore
Please do not
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We DO NOT ask you to attach references to your application form. However, if you are shortlisted we will ask you for two references and you need to be able to provide these quickly. Ideally, one reference should be from your current or most recent academic supervisor, and one reference from an employer. If you have never been employed, we will accept a reference from voluntary work, or two academic references. You should ask your referees to write a reference that relates to your suitability for this scholarship.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 27 July 2015. Late applications will not be considered.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.