2018-2019 Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellowships for International Fellows,
and the call for Aleksanteri Visiting Fellowships for the academic year 2018–2019 is open
from 9 January until 13 February 2018 (by 23:59 UTC +2:00) for the period of
1 August 2018 – 15 July 2019. Aleksanteri Institute awards up to 10-12 visiting fellowships to scholars conducting research in a field relevant to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda for 2018/2019 academic year. Applicants at different stages of their academic career, from junior researchers to established scholars, are welcome to apply. Fellowship carries a monthly grant of €3000 to cover all expenses related to the stay in Helsinki (e.g. accommodation, travel, insurance, visas). Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Finland
Level: Fellowships are available to conduct research at Aleksanteri Institute.
Field(s): Fellowships are awarded for conducting research in a field relevant to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda: Economic Diversification (Energy policy, Changing industrial and rural communities), The Welfare Society (Welfare, gender and agency, Inequalities and Class and social structure), Democracy (the construction of “Europeanness” and the political use of history, Public administration, The media and Welfare, gender and agency), Foreign Policy (Foreign policy and energy issues and Civil protection and crisis management), The Social Constitution of Culture (Rationality and the history of ideas, The sacred and the profane, Identities , Cultural encounters and Cultural centres and peripheries) and The Cold War and its Consequences.
Deadline: 13 February 2018 (by 23:59 UTC +2:00) for the period of
1 August 2018 – 15 July 2019.
Funded By: Aleksanteri Institute University of Helsinki
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellowships are targeted for International Students
‣ Award No: In 2018-2019, the Aleksanteri Institute expects to invite 10-12 visiting fellows.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Successful applicants will be granted fellowships for research visits between one and three months at the Aleksanteri Institute. The visits should take place between 1 August 2018 and 15 July 2019. The last possible starting date for a visiting fellowship is 1 June 2018.
‣ Scholarship covers: Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellowships carries a monthly grant of €3000 to cover all expenses related to the stay in Helsinki (e.g. accommodation, travel, insurance, visas). Fellowship provides visiting fellows with office space and IT facilities, as well as use of the Institute’s in-house library and other University of Helsinki libraries, including e-libraries and the Slavonic Library.
‣ Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellowships Applications are invited from highly qualified scholars conducting research in a field relevant to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda. Applicants at different stages of their academic career, from junior researchers to established scholars, are welcome to apply. Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent (granted no later than 13 February 2018 ).
‣ In addition to academic excellence, a key factor in the selection process is the potential for a mutually beneficial research visit, both for the visitor and for the research community of the Aleksanteri Institute. Visiting fellows are expected to work on themes related to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda and are encouraged to participate actively in the academic life of the Aleksanteri Institute.
‣ Is intended for scholars who hold a PhD degree, in a field relevant to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda and whose place of residence is outside of Finland. The PhD degree must be granted by February 13, 2018.
‣ Is intended for a period of one to three months between 1 August, 2018 and 15 July 2019. The last possible starting date for the fellowship is 1 June, 2018.
‣ Involves a research stay at the Aleksanteri Institute, during which Visiting Fellows are expected to be present at the Aleksanteri Institute and to participate in its academic activities.
‣ Provides an opportunity to conduct research and benefit from interaction with the Russian and Eastern European studies community in Finland.
‣ Grant-holders are expected to contribute to the advancement of Russian and Eastern European studies in general and to the research agenda of the Aleksanteri Institute in particular.
‣ Grant-holders will present their research in the Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellows Research Seminar series, and, preferably, also contribute to the Institute’s other seminars and publications.
‣ Grant-holders are required to have excellent command of English.
Selection Criteria for Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellowships
‣ In addition to academic excellence, a key factor in the selection process is the potential for a mutually beneficial research visit, both for the visitor and for the research community of the Aleksanteri Institute.
‣ The selection of the Visiting Fellows will be concluded by April 2018 and the names of the Aleksanteri Visiting Fellows will be published on the Institute’s website. All applicants will be personally notified of the result. The applications are evaluated by three experts. Feedback on the applications will not be provided.
‣ Complete an electronic application form, which is open from 8 January until Tuesday, 13 February 2018 23:59 Finnish time (UTC +2:00).
Upload the following material to the electronic application form as a single PDF file:
1. A letter of introduction that (a) states the purpose of the research stay, (b) describes how the fellowship would benefit the research of the applicant, and (c) describes how the applicant would contribute to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda.
2. A research plan of no more than 2500 words that consists of the following sections:
3. The applicant’s CV – a maximum of four pages
4. A list of relevant publications by the applicant
‣ Scholarship Applications Date: 13 February 2018 (by 23:59 UTC +2:00) for the period of
1 August 2018 – 15 July 2019.
For the application instructions and more information please see this link.
‣ Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be evaluated.
‣ Find out more about the University of Helsinki at http://www.helsinki.fi/university
Useful links to sites giving information on Helsinki and Finland: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en and http://finland.fi/
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.