2016-2017 Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme for Postgraduate Study and applications are submitted till March 31. Applications are invited for Aga Khan Foundation international scholarship programme to undertake postgraduate studies. For 2016-2017 academic year, the scholarship is open for the students of Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Mozambique, Madagascar, France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada to study in their home countries. The scholarship will cover tuition fees and living expenses. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Mozambique, Madagascar, France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada.
Deadline: March 31.
Funded By: Aga Khan Education
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2016-2017 Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship is targeted for Students from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique are eligible. In France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the above developing countries can apply for this Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship
‣ Award No: The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year
.‣ Scholarship Duration: not Specified
‣ Scholarship covers: The Foundation assists students with tuition fees and living expenses only. The cost of travel is not included in AKF scholarships. Funding for PhD programmes is only provided for the first two years of study, after which the students are expected to find alternative sources of assistance. Financial assistance is provided according to the needs of students, but the ISP must be considered a lender of last resort. Applicants are requested to make every effort to obtain funding from other sources as well, so that the amount requested from the Foundation can be reduced to a minimum. Preference is given to those who have been able to secure some funding from alternative sources. Half of the scholarship amount is considered as a loan, which must be reimbursed with an annual service charge of 5%. A guarantor is required to co-sign the loan agreement. The payback period is five years, starting six months after the study period funded by the Aga Khan Foundation.
‣ The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies.
‣ 2016-2017 Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship is awarded on a 50% grant: 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year in June or July.
‣ The Foundation gives priority to requests for Master’s level courses but is willing to consider applications for PhD programmes, only in the case of outstanding students who are highly recommended for doctoral studies by their professors and who need a PhD for the fulfilment of their career objectives (academic or research oriented).
‣ Applications for short-term courses are not considered; neither are applications from students who have already started their course of study.
‣ Geographic Scope: The Foundation accepts applications from nationals of the following countries: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique. In France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the above developing countries, are interested in development-related studies and who have no other means of financing their education.
‣ Residency Requirement: The Foundation only accepts applications of eligible nationals listed above who are residing in one of the countries where there are local Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB) offices which process applications and interview candidates.
‣ Age Limit: Preference is given to students under 30 years of age.
Selection Criteria for 2016-2017 Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship
‣ The main criteria for selecting award winners are: l) excellent academic records, 2) genuine financial need, 3) admission to a reputable institution of higher learning and 4) thoughtful and coherent educational and career plans.
‣ Candidates are also evaluated on their extra-curricular interests and achievements, potential to achieve their goals and likelihood to succeed in a foreign academic environment.
‣ Applicants are expected to have some years of work experience in their field of interest.
‣ The annual Scholarship Selection Meeting takes place in late June or early July and the Aga Khan Foundation notifies all students of the outcome of their application shortly thereafter.
‣ The application procedures of AKF’s International Scholarship Programme are decentralized. Students may obtain application forms as of January 1st each year from AKF offices or Aga Khan Education Services / Boards in their countries of current residence.
‣ Completed applications should be returned to the agency from which the form was obtained or to the address indicated on the front of the form.
‣ Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for submission of entire completed applications is March 31, although in certain countries internal deadlines may be earlier in order to process and review applications.
‣ Applicants are advised to contact the local offices for internal deadline dates and requirements as these may vary from country to country. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for HBIGS PhD Fellowships for International Students in Germany, 2015this scholarship.