2015 University of Tokyo Research Internship Program In Japan , and applications are submitted till 3rd March 2015. Applications are invited for University of Tokyo Research Internship Program for 2015 academic year. UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the future. Applicants for UTRIP must have completed at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application. This is a paid internship. This stipend will be provided to cover some personal expenses such as travel expenses in Japan (transportation fees between Narita (or Haneda) Airport and UTokyo), or visa-application fee (if needed), etc. The program also includes an excursion outside of Tokyo as well as a short course on the Japanese language and culture. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Japan
Field(s): The participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conducting research from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS’s five departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.
Deadline: 3rd March 2015
Funded By: Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 University of Tokyo Research Internship is targeted for International Students
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The duration of internship is 6 weeks.
‣ Scholarship covers: Is this paid internship? -A stipend of JPY 60,000 yen: This stipend will be provided to cover some personal expenses such as travel expenses in Japan (transportation fees between Narita (or Haneda) Airport and UTokyo), or visa-application fee (if needed), etc.
-Housing: Housing will be provided for the duration of the stay for up to 42 days (six weeks) with some limitation. If a student wishes to extend his or her period of stay beyond the research project period of six weeks, the student will have to pay the accommodation fee for the extended period.
-Funding for travel: The funding will in no circumstances exceed JPY 100,000. When the transport expense is paid in a currency other than JPY, it will be converted to JPY at the exchange rate announced by UTokyo. Reimbursement of airfares and payment of the stipend will be made only upon the student’s arrival at UTokyo.
The student must acknowledge and agree that reimbursement will be made only when he or she satisfies the following conditions: (1) the flight route is a simple round trip between the nearest airport to the student’s home university or hometown and Tokyo (Narita or Haneda airport); (2) the hometown can be chosen only if it is closer to Tokyo than the home university; (3) the student must submit a payment proof (receipt) together with a flight confirmation by the stipulated deadline.
‣ UTRIP stands for the “University of Tokyo Research Internship Program.” This program was launched by the Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo (one of the world’s leading research-education universities) as part of its campaign begun in June 2010 for promoting the internationalization of the GSS by inviting talented young students from abroad.
‣ UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the future.
‣ During the program, the participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conductingresearch from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS’s five departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.
‣ The program is open to students who are currently enrolled in the second or a later year at an accredited college or university outside of Japan, and who are majoring in a natural science or related field.
‣ Students participating in the program who are highly evaluated by the faculty members will be given priority for receiving the Graduate School of Science Scholarship for International Students (GSS Scholarship) when applying for admission to the GSS in the future .
‣ The program also includes an excursion outside of Tokyo as well as a short course on the Japanese language and culture.
‣ Have completed at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application.
‣ Be expected to be enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program as of July 1, 2015, at a university outside of Japan. (At selection, the priority for nomination is given to applicants expected to be in their third year of a four-year Bachelor’s degree program and to applicants expected to be in their second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree program as of July 1, 2015. Students in other years are also encouraged to apply.)
‣ Be enrolled in a natural science or related field.
‣ Be thinking of pursuing long-term career goals in a scientific area.
‣ Be planning to commit to the entire six consecutive weeks of the UTRIP program (June 11 to July 22 for 1st Crew students, and July 1 to August 11 for 2nd Crew students) on a full-time basis.
‣ Be able to present coverage of a health insurance plan that is effective during the internship program before arriving in Japan.
‣ English proficiency: test scores of TOEFL or an equivalent English proficiency test (such as IELTS) are required if you are not a native English speaker or (if English is not your first language). Test scores that have already expired are accepted, as long as the applicant is still able to produce proof of the test scores upon request by the UTRIP office. Students who have received an English-medium education continuously for the past 8 years are exempted from submitting English proficiency test scores.
Notification for 2015 University of Tokyo Research Internship
‣ Selection notification will be announced on the UTRIP website on 7 April 2015. Selected students will be notified directly by email as well.
‣ All required documents are required to be submitted online. Please note that original official transcripts will be required for enrollment purposes if applicants are successfully admitted into GSC.
‣ Internship Applications are due on 3rd March 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.