2015 Sir Henry Wellcome Trust Postdoctoral Fellowships in UK or Overseas , and applications are submitted till 6th October 2014. Wellcome Trust is offering postdoctoral fellowships in Biomedical Research to individuals with a relevant connection to the European Economic Area. Candidates will be expected to identify an important biomedical research question and to develop and deliver a personal programme to achieve their research aims. The fellowship is for four years full-time. Fellowships may be taken up on a part-time employment basis with the tenure of award lengthened accordingly. Applicants may be sponsored by their current host institution but must begin their fellowship at a new research location. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | UK or Overseas (You may be sponsored by your current host institution but must begin your fellowship at a new research location.)
Level: Postdoctoral Fellowships( are available to postdoctoral researchers for developing their independent research careers, working in the best laboratories in the UK and overseas. )
Field(s): Biomedical research. Candidates will be expected to identify an important biomedical research question and to develop and deliver a personal programme to achieve their research aims.
Deadline: 6th October 2014.
Funded By: Wellcome Trust (applicant must have an eligible sponsoring institution in the UK or Republic of Ireland that will administer the fellowship for the full duration of the award.)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Sir Henry Wellcome Trust Postdoctoral Fellowships are targeted for these awards are open to individuals with a relevant connection to the European Economic Area (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech, Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvi, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK).
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The fellowship is for four years full-time. Fellowships may be taken up on a part-time employment basis with the tenure of award lengthened accordingly.
‣ Scholarship covers: The fellowship provides an award of £250 000. These funds provide support for: -the basic salary as determined by the host institution, with an additional Trust enhancement for basic science fellows -research expenses (materials and consumables; animals; travel and overseas subsistence; support to attend scientific meetings; small items of equipment, e.g. laptop; and fieldwork and data collection). Support funds for research staff or equipment are not provided. It is expected that an appropriate laboratory will be selected and that the majority of the necessary equipment and facilities required for the proposed research be available to the candidate. Awarded Fellows are eligible to apply for provision for public engagement costs, which provides dedicated funds to enable grant holders to communicate their research to the public. Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellows in the third or fourth year of their Fellowship are also eligible to apply for the Wellcome Trust and BBC placement scheme. This scheme provides Fellows with the opportunity to undertake a four-week internship at the BBC science unit in Central London or Glasgow, to gain first-hand experience of the broadcast media environment and an understanding of the development, production and commissioning process of TV programmes.
‣ 2015 Sir Henry Wellcome Trust Postdoctoral Fellowships provide a unique opportunity for the most promising newly qualified postdoctoral researchers to make an early start in developing their independent research careers, working in the best laboratories in the UK and overseas.
‣ Candidates will be expected to identify an important biomedical research question and to develop and deliver a personal programme to achieve their research aims.
‣ You must be in the final year of your PhD studies or have no more than one year of postdoctoral research experience from the date of your PhD viva to the full application submission deadline (e.g. if the full deadline is in June 2014, your viva should not have occurred prior to June 2013).
‣ Time spent outside the research environment will be taken into consideration (e.g. time away due to maternity, paternity, adoption leave or other caring responsibilities; ill-health or working in a non-research environment/role such as industry).
‣ Applicant must have an eligible sponsoring institution in the UK or Republic of Ireland that will administer the fellowship for the full duration of the award.
‣ They may be sponsored by your current host institution but must begin your fellowship at a new research location.
‣ Applicants will require a:
Selection Criteria for 2015 Sir Henry Wellcome Trust Postdoctoral Fellowships
Reviewers typically assess:
‣ your track record -the importance of the research question;
‣ your choice of appropriate research sponsors -the feasibility of the approach;
‣ your vision of how the fellowship will contribute to your career development;
‣ your longer-term aspirations.
‣ The fellowship should normally include periods in more than one laboratory, either in the UK or overseas. There is no time limit on the amount of time spent outside the sponsoring institution. However, recipients are encouraged to maintain a strong link with their host institution during the award.
‣ Shortlisted 2015 Sir Henry Wellcome Trust Postdoctoral Fellowships candidates will be notified two weeks before the interview date (13-15 April 2015). Interviews will be conducted at offices in London.
‣ Applicants should complete and submit a preliminary application form by the published deadline.
‣ The requested accompanying information should be included in the same form and emailed as a single Word or PDF document by email.
‣ 2015 Sir Henry Wellcome Trust Postdoctoral Fellowships Applicants can send letters of support separately, but these should reach the Trust by the deadline and clearly state which application they are associated with.
‣ Your preliminary application will be assessed within four weeks of the submission deadline.
‣ If successful, you will be invited to submit a full application. For the full application, you will be required to identify the first research sponsor as a minimum.
‣ A sponsor may also be nominated as a research sponsor or mentor on an application; however, we would not expect a single individual to be proposed for all three roles
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Applications for this scheme are considered twice a year.
‣ Details of the next round are: Preliminary application deadline: 6 October 2014 and full application deadline: 8 December 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.