2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships for postdoctoral scientists, and applications are submitted till 21 November 2014 and full application deadline is 30th January 2015.Royal Society and the Wellcome Trust are awarding Sir Henry Dale Fellowships for postdoctoral scientists wishing to build their own UK-based independent research career addressing an important biomedical question. Applicant must be a UK/EEA/non-EEA national who either has a relevant degree from a UK university, or has worked in the UK for at least a continuous three-year period. Fellowships are tenable for five years in the first instance, with the potential to apply for competitive renewal for an additional three years. If applicants propose to undertake fieldwork or research in a low- or middle-income country, they may be required to identify an appropriate Head of Department, or equivalent (e.g. Director of Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme), in their overseas organization. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | UK or low- or middle-income country
Level: postdoctoral scientists wishing to build their own UK-based independent research career
Field(s): 2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships
are awarded for research addressing an important biomedical question
Deadline: The preliminary application deadline is 21 November 2014 and full application deadline is 30th January 2015.
Funded By: Royal Society and the Wellcome Trust
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships are targeted for Citizens of UK/EEA (Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and UK. NB while Switzerland is not in the EEA, Swiss nationals have the same rights as EEA nationals) and non-EEA national (who either has a relevant degree from a UK university, or has worked in the UK for at least a continuous three-year period) can apply for the research fellowships.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: 2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships are tenable for five years in the first instance, with the potential to apply for competitive renewal for an additional three years. Fellowships may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate.
‣ Scholarship covers: Unless stated otherwise, the following costs may be requested: -a basic salary for the Fellow, as determined by the host organisation; an additional Wellcome Trust enhancement of £7500 per annum will also be provided -research expenses, including research assistance if required (normally a graduate research assistant or technician; requests for additional research staff may be considered where fieldwork or clinical studies in a low- or middle-income country are proposed) -travel and subsistence for collaborative travel or scientifically justified overseas visits of normally up to one year -overseas allowances, where appropriate, for applicants working in low- or middle-income countries for 12 months or more In addition the Funders will provide: -an inflation allowance as set by the Wellcome Trust -a Flexible Funding Allowance as set by the Wellcome Trust -a contribution towards indirect and estate costs funded by the Royal Society (currently set at £11 000 per annum per Fellowship). Please note that only the funds provided by the Royal Society may be used towards indirect and estate costs. The Wellcome Trust’s position on full economic costs is to pay the directly incurred costs of the research it funds, and other costs where these will further the Trust’s charitable mission. The Trust does not fund on a proportion of full economic costs (fEC) basis.
‣ For outstanding postdoctoral scientists wishing to build their own UK-based independent research career addressing an important biomedical question.
‣ Research can range from the molecules and cells vital to life and their role in the global spread of disease, to clinical and public health research seeking to improve the quality of healthcare.
‣ It can be based in the laboratory, clinic or field, and may involve experimental or theoretical approaches.
‣ This 2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships brings together the Royal Society and the Wellcome Trust, two of the world’s most prestigious and influential scientific organisations, in their shared commitment to supporting the future leaders of biomedical research.
‣ The scheme seeks to support individuals who would have previously applied for a ‘biomedical’ Royal Society University Research Fellowship or a Wellcome Trust Research Career Development Fellowship hosted by a UK academic organisation.
‣ You are expected to have relevant scientific or mathematical qualifications and, at the final decision point (i.e. at interview),
‣ be no more than seven years from the date of your PhD viva.
You must be:
‣ a UK/EEA national -a non-EEA national who either has a relevant degree from a UK university, or has worked in the UK for at least a continuous three-year period
‣ an exceptional biomedical scientist, who does not fall within the categories above, whose recruitment to the host organisation would be advantageous to both the applicant and the organisation.
‣ Holders of Royal Society University Research Fellowships or Wellcome Trust Research Career Development Fellowships are not eligible to apply for a Sir Henry Dale Fellowship.
‣ Whilst this scheme is not open to individuals who wish to combine research with a continuing clinical career in medicine, psychology, dentistry or veterinary practice, opportunities may be available through the Wellcome Trust’s clinical fellowship schemes.
‣ You must have an eligible sponsoring host organisation in the UK with the support of the relevant Head of Department, or equivalent e.g.
‣ Centre Director, Head of School, etc., who can guarantee that you will be supported in developing your own independent career and that adequate space and resources will be provided for the duration of the award.
‣ You will be expected to spend less than two years with your current department if you plan to apply for a Sir Henry Dale Fellowship in the same location.
‣ A strong justification must be provided where you have been at the proposed host organisation for longer.
‣ Please note that if you hold an established post you are not eligible to apply for a fellowship to be held at your current employing organisation.
‣ However, in exceptional circumstances we are willing to consider a preliminary application if you wish to move organisation and are able to make a strong scientific justification for the move. Please contact the Wellcome Trust for advice.
‣ You must have made intellectual contributions to research that have been published in leading journals, and be able to demonstrate your potential to carry out independent research.
‣ If you propose to undertake fieldwork or research in a low- or middle-income country, you may be required to identify an appropriate Head of Department, or equivalent (e.g. Director of Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme), in your overseas organisation.
Selection Criteria for 2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships
‣ Reviewers and decision-making bodies typically assess:
Notification for 2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships
‣ Shortlisted candidate interviews will hold between 27-29 May 2015.
‣ You should complete and submit a preliminary application form by the published deadline.
‣ The requested accompanying information should be included in the same form and emailed as a single Word or PDF document to enquiries-at-shdf.ac.uk. You can send letters of support separately, but these should reach the Trust by the deadline and clearly state which application they are associated with.
‣ Completed forms of 2015 Sir Henry Dale Fellowships will normally be assessed within four weeks of the preliminary deadline.
‣ If eligible and assessed as competitive, you will be advised to submit a full application via the Wellcome Trust’s eGrants online application system.
‣ Once the full application has been submitted it will be subject to external peer review prior to consideration by the scientifically relevant Expert Review Group.
‣ Note: it is important that you complete the Sir Henry Dale Fellowship application form using this eGrants link (and not the Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowship form via the main Wellcome Trust eGrants website).
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: The preliminary application deadline is 21 November 2014 and full application deadline is 30th January 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.