2015 Sagan Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Applicants in USA, and applications are submitted till November 6, 2014. The NASA Exoplanet Science Institute is inviting applications for Sagan Postdoctoral Fellowships to begin in the fall of 2015. Fellowship duration is of three years which covers stipend, health care, moving expenses, research budget and the overhead costs of host institution. The fellowships are available for international applicants and tenable at U.S. host institutions of the fellows’ choice. Applicants must have a PhD degree in astronomy, physics. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): U.S. host institutions of the fellows’ choice | USA (The fellowships are tenable at U.S. host institutions of the fellows’ choice).
Level: Postdoctoral Program
Field(s): The fellowship is awarded for the scientific and technical goals of NASA’s Exoplanet Exploration Program, namely the discovery and characterization of planetary systems and Earth-like planets around nearby stars, while at the same time broadening the research community that is actively involved in developing and applying these research techniques and technologies.
Deadline: November 6, 2014
Funded By: The NASA Exoplanet Science Institute
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Sagan Postdoctoral Fellowships are targeted for international applicants
‣ Award No: Up to 5 fellowships will be awarded.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The fellowship will cover initially one year of postdoctoral research with two additional years of funding contingent on satisfactory performance and availability of NASA funds.
‣ Scholarship covers: The annual (12-month) stipend for the 2015-2016 academic year will be $67,000 for new Fellows. A health-insurance program must be provided by the Host Institution for the Fellow or purchased separately, and may be provided for the Fellow’s dependents, if any.
Funds for this purpose should be requested in the submitted budget, up to the stated limits. Although Sagan Fellows receive stipends (rather than salaries), the Host Institution may apply its applicable negotiated Fringe Benefit rate to the stipend up to a limit of $18,000 per year, in order to fund the health insurance. Note, however, that the institution’s Indirect Cost Rate may not be applied to either the Fellowship stipend or the Fringe Benefits. If the health insurance is not provided through the applicable Fringe Benefits rate, it may be purchased separately by the Institution or Fellow, up to a limit of $18,000 per year. Fringe Benefits must be in accordance with the Standard Policies and Practices related to handling postdocs at the Host Institution. For first-year Fellows, relocation costs must be in accordance with the Standard Policies and Practices of the Host Institution and should not exceed $7,500.
Further, the fellowship shall include an annual research budget not to exceed $16,000 per year to cover research related expenses such as but not limited to travel, page charges, small equipment, and computers. The research budget may be phased to cover the purchase of more expensive equipment at the beginning of the funding period as long as the total of the expenses does not exceed the sum of the annual allocations. With the approval of the Sagan Program Scientist personal computer and equipment that is considered to have reached the end of its useful lifetime at the end of the fellowship will not need to be returned to the funding agency. In general, equipment purchased in the last half of the fellowship will need to be returned. In addition to the research budget, up to $1,500 annually may be requested as part of the fellow’s budget to support travel to attend the Sagan fellows symposium.
‣ The purpose of this 2015 Sagan Postdoctoral Fellowships is to enable recent PhD recipients to pursue independent research related to the discovery and characterization of planetary systems and Earth-like planets around nearby stars.
‣ are those who have received a PhD in astronomy, space physics, or related disciplines within the last 3 years.
‣ Also eligible are current PhD students who will have fulfilled all requirements to receive a PhD before the start of the funding period, typically the beginning of September.
‣ The applicant must propose to conduct research at a university or research institution in the United States with an established program in the field of the proposed research.
‣ An established program shall be defined as at least one faculty member who is engaged in the proposed field through dedicated facilities or instruments, collaborations with existing projects or projects under development, or a record of significant contributions to the field.
‣ The intent of this requirement is to guarantee the student a rich and stimulating environment rather than restricting the field of eligible institutions.
‣ Eligible applications must include a letter of endorsement from the proposed institution(s).
Selection criteria for 2015 Sagan Postdoctoral Fellowships
‣ The selection of the fellowship recipients will be made by the selecting official of the fellowship program (the NExScI Executive Director) based on the recommendation of an independent review panel.
‣ Offers will be made before February 1, 2015, and new appointments are expected to begin on or about September 1, 2015.
‣ Applicants can apply via online.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 6 November 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship