2015 RAF Memorial Journalists Fellowship for Developing Countries, USA , and applications are submitted till 31 March 2015. Applications are invited for UN fellowship programme available for junior and mid-level broadcasters and journalists from developing countries and countries with economies in transition. The Programme provides journalists with an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the work of the United Nations. It is also an opportunity to meet journalists from other countries and exchange ideas with UN communication professionals. Candidates must be currently employed by a recognized media organization. This year UN will select 15 candidates, each from a different country. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: This one month fellowship is available for junior and mid-level broadcasters and journalists.
Deadline: 31 March 2015.
Funded By: The United Nations Department of Public Information
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 RAF Memorial Journalists Fellowship is targeted for Citizens of participating developing countries are eligible to apply for these UN fellowships: Economic Commission for Africa (ECA): Republic of Botswana, Central African Republic, Republic of Ivory Coast, Republic of Equatorial Guinea, State of Eritrea, Republic of Namibia, Republic of the Congo, Republic of South Africa, Republic of South Sudan, Republic of the Sudan; Economic Commission for Europe (ECE): Republic of Albania, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia; Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC): Plurinational State of Bolivia, Republic of Cuba, Republic of Guatemala, Republic of Guyana, Republic of Honduras, Republic of Peru, Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela; Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP): People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China, Republic of
India, Republic of Indonesia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Mongolia, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, Independent State of Papua New Guinea, Russian Federation, Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Republic of Turkey; Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA): Arab Republic of Egypt and Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
‣ Award No: UN will select 15 candidates, each from a different country.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Fellowship is awarded for a period of one month (10 September to 8 October 2015).
‣ Scholarship covers: -Economy single round trip airline ticket from your country to New York.
-A daily subsistence allowance (DSA) to cover your accommodation, meals, local transportation and other expenses. The current daily rate for New York is US$ 378.00.
-Upon completion of the Programme requirements and assignments, participants will receive a certificate of participation.
‣ The 2015 RAF Memorial Journalists Fellowship Programme was mandated in December 1980 by UN General Assembly Resolution 35/201 (paragraph III-9) and renamed in September 2003 “Reham Al-Farra Memorial Journalists Fellowship Programme” to honour Ms. Reham Al-Farra, a young UN staff member killed in the bombing of the UN Headquarters in Baghdad.
‣ The Programme is sponsored annually since 1981 by the United Nations Department of Public Information as a fellowship Programme for junior and mid-level broadcasters and journalists from developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
‣ As of 2014, 536 journalists and broadcasters from 166 countries have taken part in the Programme.
‣ Eligible candidates not selected will be invited to participate in new social media discussion groups and receive selected training material electronically. Qualified candidates from countries not selected will be encouraged to apply again in 2016. Candidates must also meet all the following requirements:
Age between 22 and 35.
Currently employed by a recognized media organization. Freelancers, translators and UN employees or immediate family members of UN employees are not eligible.
Oral and written fluency in English. Applicants from Non-English speaking countries will be interviewed on the phone.
Several years of professional journalism experience and proven interest in the work of the United Nations.
Selection Criteria for 2015 RAF Memorial Journalists Fellowship
‣ As a General Assembly mandated Programme, the selection strives to ensure equity in participation of all developing countries and countries with economies in transition, based on geographical distribution, past participation and size of the country.
‣ The participants are recruited via UN Information Centers, UNDP offices and UN Missions in the selected countries.
‣ The selection is a competitive process which includes an interview and written assessment taking into consideration gender, type of media balance and individual experience.
Notification for 2015 RAF Memorial Journalists Fellowship
‣ All applicants will be notified of the results in May-June 2015.
‣ Complete Application Form: 2015 RAF Programme Application Form -Submit three samples in any language published in the last three years of your work related to the United Nations (General politics – is not accepted).
‣ A translation into English or a summary must accompany material published in languages other than the six UN official languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish). -Please send the completed application form and all required supporting documents by email.
‣ Submit a photocopy of your passport, showing your photo, nationality, day/place issued and date of expiration.
‣ Your passport must be valid for at least another six months from the end of the Programme.
‣ Birth certificates or other forms or documentation cannot be accepted.
‣ Provide a reference letter from your current employer, supporting your application and, if selected, granting you leave of absence for the full duration of the Programme, including allowing time to execute all assignments and requirements.
‣ Submit a photocopy of your university/college diploma in the field of journalism or communication.
‣ A translation into English must accompany diplomas issued in languages other than the six UN official languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish).
Please send the completed application form and all required supporting documents attached in one e-mail to the Programme Coordinator.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 31 March 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.