2015 OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships for Women from Developing Countries , and applications are submitted till 15th August 2014. Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is offering fellowships for women scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDC). The fellowships are awarded to pursue postgraduate studies leading to doctorate degree in all branches of the natural sciences at a centre of excellence (renowned research institutions/universities) in the South (developing countries) outside applicant’s home country. Each fellowship will be offered for up to three years. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | South (developing countries)
Level: Postgraduate Studies
Field(s): all branches of the natural sciences
Deadline: 15th August 2014.
Funded By: With funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), OWSD has instituted this fellowship programme.
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships are targeted for Sub-Saharan Africa (Angola, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Myanmar, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe) and Least Developed Countries (Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros Islands, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen and Zambia).
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: Each 2015 OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships will be offered for up to three years. An applicant who has already registered or who wishes to
register as a PhD student at her home institute can choose a sandwich option whereby part of the research programme is undertaken at a host institute in another developing country. In this case the fellowship is offered for six months.
‣ Scholarship covers: Each 2015 OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships will cover the following: - Travel expenses to and from the host institute; - A monthly allowance to cover accommodation and meals while in the host country, the amount of which will be determined in consultation with the host institution; - Refund of visa costs; - A contribution for medical insurance. The fellowship will also support one or more of the following NEW funding opportunities aimed at: - Attending one international conference during the period of the fellowship; - On a competitive basis, attending of scientific communication and proposal writing workshop; and - On a competitive basis, attending the Fifth OWSD General Assembly and International Conference scheduled for 2014. An applicant who has already registered or who wishes to register as a PhD student at her home institute can choose a sandwich option, whereby part of the research programme is undertaken at a host institute in another developing country. In this case the fellowship provides support (travel, accommodation and living expenses) only while at the host institution. The minimum period abroad is six months. The fellowship does not provide support while the applicant is at the home institute. Alternatively, an applicant can enroll as a full-time research student at an institution outside her country, in this case the fellowship will provide support (travel, accommodation and living expenses) for 3 years. The host institution will be expected to provide the necessary facilities such as tuition, training, supervision, laboratory supplies etc.
‣ With funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), OWSD has instituted a fellowship programme for female students from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDCs), who wish to pursue postgraduate training leading to a PhD, at centres of excellence in the South (developing countries), outside their own country.
‣ The general purpose of the 2015 OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships scheme is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology, and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
‣ The minimum qualification of applicants is an MSc degree (or equivalent), or an outstanding BSc honours degree, in the natural sciences, engineering or information technology disciplines.
‣ Applicants already on site in the host country will not be considered eligible.
‣ The host institute where the applicant wishes to pursue her doctorate degree must be in a developing country other than her own.
‣ The applicant must be willing to return to her own country after completion of the fellowship.
‣ The 2015 OWSD Postgraduate Training Fellowships are highly competitive and the selection will be based on scientific competence and merit.
‣ Applicants should complete all parts of the application form, and enclose copies of all university degree certificates, and the university-issued transcripts, which should include grades, courses taken, etc.
‣ If the applicant has already gained admission at an institution of excellence in the South (i.e., in a developing country), a copy of the letter of acceptance from the institution must be enclosed.
‣ If the applicant is registered for a doctorate degree at an institution in her home country, and wishes to pursue part of her research at another institution under a “sandwich programme”, a letter of recommendation from the home institute supervisor must be enclosed.
‣ Applicants must also submit a research outline for their proposed PhD programme (see sample below). In the case of sandwich option applicants, the outline must make it clear which parts of the work will be carried out at the host institution.
‣ Two reference letters from senior scientists familiar with the applicant’s studies must be enclosed with the application in sealed envelopes OR must be sent by email to info-at-owsdw.org. The subject line of the email must contain: OWSD/PG/candidate’s surname. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
‣ Applications must be clearly typewritten in English and completed in all parts; OWSD will not process incomplete and/or illegible applications. OWSD will inform the applicant as soon as the application is processed.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15th August 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.