2015 Open Society Fellowship for International Students , and applications are submitted till February 2, 2015. Applications are invited for Open Society Fellowship. The fellowship considers applicants from all parts of the world. This is a fellowship for individuals only and does not fund enrollment for degree or non-degree study at academic institutions, including dissertation research. International Fellowship terms are for one year which covers stipend, accommodation, airfare, visa costs, research assistance, conference fees and health insurance. Most fellows spend a portion of their term in one or more Open Society Foundation offices. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Most fellows spend a portion of their term in one or more Open Society Foundation offices in New York, Washington, London, Brussels, or Budapest, or at a regional foundation. Fellows who wish to work on their project in a country in which they do not have citizenship must satisfy and comply with applicable visa requirements.
Level: This is a fellowship for individuals only and does not fund enrollment for degree or non-degree study at academic institutions, including dissertation research.
Field(s): The Foundation’s core areas of concern are human rights, government transparency, access to information, access to justice, the promotion of civil society and social inclusion. Project themes should cut across these areas of interest. Applicants who are uncertain whether their topic fits within the Foundation’s focus areas are invited to submit a brief letter of inquiry, accompanied by a CV, before proceeding with the online application process. That letter of inquiry should be addressed to: OSFellows-at-opensocietyfoundations.org. Letters of inquiry must be submitted at least one month before the next application deadline.
Deadline: February 2, 2015.
Funded By: Open Society Foundation
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Open Society Fellowship is targeted for applicants from all parts of the world.
‣ Award No: A small number of applicants are selected as finalists. The fellowship program considers applications subject to funding availability.
‣ Scholarship Duration: International Fellowship terms are for one year, the program will consider requests for shorter or longer durations. Slight preference is given to applications for full-time fellowships, but the program will consider applicants who can only work part-time on their projects.
‣ Scholarship covers: Full-time fellows will receive a stipend of $80,000 or $100,000, depending on work experience, seniority, and current income. Stipends will be prorated for part-time fellows. The stipend does not necessarily equal the applicant’s current salary. In certain cases, fellows will receive additional financial support to enable them to meet the residency expectation. In addition to the stipend, fellows will receive a project budget. That budget may include expenses such as travel (including airfare and hotel), visa costs, part-time research assistance, conference fees and health insurance. Fellowship expenses should not include operational or programmatic costs, such as employees and physical infrastructure. The purpose of the fellowship is to support individual fellows; therefore the program will only cover individual expenses.
‣ The 2015 Open Society Fellowship supports individuals seeking innovative and unconventional approaches to fundamental open society challenges.
‣ The fellowship funds work that will enrich public understanding of those challenges and stimulate far-reaching and probing conversations within the Open Society Foundations and in the world.
‣ A fellowship project might identify a problem that has not previously been recognized, develop new policy ideas to address familiar problems, or offer a new advocacy strategy. Fellows should take advantage of the considerable intellectual and logistical resources of the Open Society Foundations and expect to contribute meaningfully to the Foundations’ thinking in return.
‣ Past and current fellows have included journalists, activists, academics, and practitioners in a variety of fields. Successful applicants will be eager to exploit the many resources offered by the Open Society Foundations and be prepared to engage constructively with our global network.
‣ Ideal fellows are specialists who can see beyond the parochialisms of their field and possess the tenacity to complete a project of exceptional merit. Proficiency in spoken English is required.
Selection Criteria for 2015 Open Society Fellowship
‣ Reviewers consider whether the applicant’s background, track record, and depth of expertise give reason to believe that the project will be successfully completed and whether the applicant offers persuasive evidence that the fellowship project will significantly inform and challenge the Open Society community.
‣ Proposals will be evaluated within four months of the deadline for submissions.
‣ All interested 2015 Open Society Fellowship applicants should complete the online application form and submit supporting materials for consideration.
‣ Please read the Tips for a Robust Proposal before applying. Applicants may submit a project proposal or other materials in a language other than English, as long as they also submit an English translation. Certified translations are strongly recommended.
‣ Once the initial information has been entered, applicants receive login details and an ID number that allows them to make additions and revisions to the form until materials are submitted.
‣ The ID number should be quoted in any correspondence. The program strongly encourages applicants to submit only electronic supporting materials. However, if applicants have hard copy materials that they feel are essential to the evaluation of their project, they can list these at the end of the project proposal.
‣ Fellowship staff will reach out to applicants should it be necessary to review these materials.
‣ Note: Only applicants without Internet access may send an application by post. A PDF application form can be downloaded. All others must apply online.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on February 2, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.