2015 NRF Freestanding Postdoctoral Fellowships in South Africa and Abroad , and applications are submitted till 8th August 2014. Applications are invited for postdoctoral fellowships to undertake research in all areas of Science, Engineering and Technology (SET); Social Sciences and Humanities. Fellowships will be awarded to outstanding international candidates from outside South Africa who wishes to undertake postdoctoral research in South Africa. A small number of fellowships are also made available to South African citizens who wish to undertake postdoctoral research on a full-time basis at recognized institutions abroad. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | South Africa and Abroad
Level: Postdoctoral Research
Field(s): all areas of Science, Engineering and Technology (SET); Social Sciences and Humanities in South Africa and abroad.
Deadline: 8th August 2014.
Funded By: Department of Science and Technology (DST)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 NRF Freestanding Postdoctoral Fellowships are targeted for South African and International applicants
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: Not Known
‣ Scholarship covers: For the 2015 academic year, the value of fellowship will be as follows: -Stipend: R150 000 Per annum -International travel grant: R45 000 (Maximum allowed during the funding period based on need) -Local travel grant: R15 000 ( Maximum allowed during the funding period based on need) -Institutional contribution: R15 000 Per annum
‣ The 2015 NRF Freestanding Postdoctoral Fellowships programme supports appropriately qualified postdoctoral research fellows who wish to pursue research at publicly funded South African Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), Science Councils and National Research Facilities.
‣ A small number of fellowships are also made available to South African citizens who wish to undertake postdoctoral research on a full-time basis at recognized institutions abroad.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
‣ Applicants must have completed the doctoral degrees within the last five years;
‣ Fellowships are open to South African citizens and permanent residents who would like to undertake research at public research institutions in South Africa and at institutions abroad; -Outstanding international candidates from outside South Africa, who wish to undertake postdoctoral research in South Africa are eligible for support;
‣ Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the applicants’ academic achievements, outputs and research potential.
‣ Fellowship will preferably not be granted to an individual in the same university department immediately after completion of a doctoral degree at that institution. Special consideration will be given to applicants where the individual’s research training and outputs may be enhanced by continuing with postdoctoral research at the same institution or under the same mentor. In such instances the applicant must provide a strong motivation describing the benefits to the applicant and for advancing innovation.
‣ Applicants who are applying for a third cycle of postdoctoral research support are not eligible.
‣ Full- time employees of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) are not eligible to apply.
‣ All NRF fellowship awards should be held as primary funding towards the research study. ‣ Fellowships must not be held simultaneously with a fellowship from any other government or NRF administered source.
‣ Beneficiaries are allowed to hold non-binding supplementary grants or emoluments to the institutional capped value.
‣ Beneficiaries must not hold full-time salaried employment during the tenure of the fellowship.
‣ All beneficiaries will be allowed to undertake a maximum of 12 hours of teaching, tutorials, assistance or demonstration duties per week on average, and may be remunerated for these duties, provided that they are reimbursed at a rate not exceeding the normal institutional tariff for services rendered.
‣ The award of a fellowship to a fellow will be based on past, current and potential academic performance. Selection criteria will include academic merit, promise of research ability, leadership qualities and previous awards, various prizes and honours.
‣ In addition to the above criteria, the award of the scholarship will be based on the feasibility and merit of the applicant’s research project proposal.
Notification: Not Known
‣ Applicants are required to apply online.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 8th August 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.