2015 Max Weber Fellowships for International Fellows in Italy, and applications are submitted till 25 October 2014. Each year, Max Weber Programme (MWP) offers 1 and 2 year international fellowships in the social sciences and humanities. The Max Weber Programme (MWP) is a postdoctoral training programme for junior post-docs who want to advance in their research and academic training. 40-45 Max Weber fellowships are awarded annually. The Max Weber programme is hosted by European University Institute in Florence and also involve additional academic activities in the EUI departments. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Italy (The Max Weber Programme is hosted in the beautiful Villa La Fonte and involves additional academic activities in the EUI departments).
Level: Postdoctoral Training Programme
Field(s): Social Sciences and Humanities.
Deadline: 25 October 2014 for the academic year 2015/2016
Funded By: European Commission (DG Education and Culture)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Max Weber Fellowships are targeted for all nationalities.
‣ Award No: There are 40-45 Max Weber Fellowships.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The Fellowships are awarded for 12 or 24 months. Candidates should indicate the preferred period in their application. The EUI reserves the right to award 12 months instead of a request for 24 months due to the high demand for MWP Fellowships. The period will be indicated in the award letter. If a Fellow leaves before the Fellowship ends (before late July), the grant will be accordingly interrupted and no grant will be paid for the month of August.
‣ Scholarship covers: The basic 2015 Max Weber Fellowships grant is € 2,000 per month. Successful applicants who receive other grants or salaries must disclose this to the EUI. The amount of the Fellowship will be fixed at a lower rate (minimum €1,250 per month) depending on the amount of the additional income. Fellows must have adequate medical insurance cover during their stay at the Institute. Fellows (but not their families) receive reimbursement for one return trip from their home town to Florence. First-class rail (travel by car is also reimbursed on this basis but requires prior authorization) Economy class airfare. The maximum amount for travel reimbursement is €1,200 for return travel. If applicable, family allowances will be added to the basic grant as follows: -A household allowance of € 300 per month is paid to Fellows with a partner if the partner lives with them in Florence and on condition that the partner’s income is not over € 2,000 per month. -There is a dependant’s allowance of € 200 per month for each dependent child living with the Fellow in Florence. -Fellows are entitled to these allowances if they are not receiving any similar allowance from another source, and on presentation of relevant documents (marriage certificate or a document that proves that you are living together in Florence, birth certificates). The tuition fee for a self-funded Max Weber Fellowship amounts to 15.000 euro for 12 months (1.250 euro per month). The fee may be waived partially or completely if special circumstances apply.
‣ Max Weber fellowships are designed for junior post-docs who would like to pursue an academic career, concentrate on their own research and enhance their academic practice in a multidisciplinary environment.
‣ Max Weber Fellowships are for 1 or 2 years and are open to candidates who have received a doctorate in the social sciences (economics, law, political science, sociology, history and related fields) within the last 5 years.
‣ Candidates who have received their PhD or officially been accepted for defense by the time of the start of the programme (1 September).
‣ Candidates are eligible during the five-year period following the successful completion of their PhD For example, to apply for 2014/2015 you should have received or submitted your PhD betweeen 1/9/2009 and 1/9/2014 and the PhD defense should take place no later than 31/12/2014.
‣ Extensions to the five-year rule are allowed for applicants whose academic career has been interrupted for maternity leave, illness or mandatory military service.
‣ Cite circumstances in the application in the field ‘Additional Notes’. Successful candidates will be asked to provide supporting documents.
‣ EUI graduates can only apply for Max Weber Fellowships after having been away from the EUI and in a full-time occupation or with another fellowship for at least one year after defending their PhD.
‣ 2015 Max Weber Fellowships Candidates of all nationalities are eligible for the Max Weber Fellowships.
‣ 2015 Max Weber Fellowships Fellows are selected on the basis of their research accomplishments and potential, their academic career interests, and the availability of the EUI faculty to provide mentorship.
‣ Research accomplishments and potential: Research excellence is assessed on the basis of the candidate’s contributions (publications, PhD thesis, etc.) and other supporting evidence (i.e. letters of reference and research plan).
‣ Academic career interests are assessed on the basis of the CV, the ‘Research and an academic career statement’ and other supporting evidence (i.e. letters of reference), with the aim of assigning Max Weber Fellowships to those candidates, satisfying the research excellence criteria and committed to an academic career, who can benefit the most from the Max Weber Programme, oriented towards the early stages of the post-doc academic career.
‣ The capacity and availability of EUI faculty to provide mentorship is taken into account; however, while having common research interests may be helpful, it is not a necessity for mentorship.
‣ Applications for self-funded fellowships are considered on a first-come basis for as long as there is capacity in the Max Weber Programme.
Notification: Candidates will be informed about the results by email by the end of January.
‣ Applicants are required to apply online.
‣ The applications (CV, Career Statement and proof of funding, all in PDF format) should be sent directly to externally-funded-mwf-at-eui.eu.
‣ Two confidential letters of reference (also in PDF) should be sent directly by the referees to the same email address.
‣ 2015 Max Weber Fellowships Candidates with their own funding are also welcome to apply and will be selected following the same criteria and procedures.
‣ They can do so either by applying for a self-funded fellowship only by the deadline or by indicating on the application form when applying for a funded Fellowship, that they wish to be considered (also) for a self-funded fellowship. (Use the field “Additional remarks” in the application form to state that funding is either not requested or that you are applying to other sources of funding to participate in the Max Weber Programme).
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date:The next deadline for applications will be 25 October 2014 for the academic year 2015/2016.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Your first paragraph ...