2015 Knight-Mozilla Fellowships for International Fellows , and applications are submitted till August 16, 2014. Applications are invited for Knight-Mozilla Fellowships to engage people who like to code and bring them—and their varied expertise—into newsroom. As a Fellow, they would live and work for 10 months in the city where their host newsroom is located (travel and housing is paid as part of the Fellowship) and work as a member of the newsroom team. Seven news organizations around the world will be hosting six Knight-Mozilla Fellows in 2015: the Guardian, La Nacion, NPR, Vox Media, the Center for Investigative Reporting, the New York Times, and the Washington Post. Full details :
School(Institutions/ Country): | In 2015, the Fellows will be based with: The Guardian in London, UK, La Nacion in Buenos Aires, Argentina, NPR in Washington, DC, Vox Media in Austin, TX; Washington, DC; or New York, NY, Center for Investigative Reporting in Emeryville, CA (just outside San Francisco), New York Times in New York, NYand Washington Post in Washington, DC; or New York, NY.
Level: Fellowship ( a ten month fellowship program)
Field(s): Knight-Mozilla Fellows work in some of the best newsrooms in the world: they’re present as news breaks, write code for the day’s headlines, wrangle thorny data sets and get to take a step back to build better newsroom tools and practices. The kinds of projects Fellows work on day-to-day are dictated by the news organization and the Fellow and include projects focused on data, mapping, research, and impact analysis. Course Level: It is a ten month fellowship program
Deadline: August 16, 2014.
Funded By: Knight-Mozilla
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Knight-Mozilla Fellowships are targeted for Fellows from around the world
‣ Award No: This year, they have seven Fellowship slots available and expect that the process will remain highly competitive.
‣ Scholarship Duration: 2015 Fellowships begin in calendar year 2015 and last for 10 months. Each Fellow’s start date will be individualized for the needs of that Fellow and the news organization but most Fellowships will begin in February or March of 2015.
‣ Scholarship covers: The Knight-Mozilla Fellowship is designed to allow flexibility for both Fellows and Fellowship Partners. The standard Fellowship offers a stipend of $60,000, paid in 10 monthly installments. Fellows are responsible for remitting all applicable taxes and other government payments as required. Mozilla may, in consultation with Fellows and Fellowship Partners, elect to vary the amount and duration to accommodate the needs and availability of individual fellows and newsrooms. To help offset cost of living in the Fellowship Partner location cities, the Fellowship also provides supplements for housing, childcare, health insurance, moving expenses, and helps pay for research/equipment and books. The Fellowship also covers the costs of required travel for Fellowship activities.
‣ Each year, we select a group of developers, technologists, civic hackers, and data crunchers to spend 10 months working as Knight-Mozilla Fellows embedded in our partner newsrooms.
‣ 2015 Knight-Mozilla Fellowships are paid positions, and emphasize open-source development that strengthens specific newsrooms and the larger journalism-code community.
‣ You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to participate in the program.
‣ We assist Fellows with any necessary visa applications for working and traveling during the Fellowship. Perfect English is not a requirement, however please be aware that it may be challenging to participate in some aspects of our program if your English is limited.
‣ The Knight-Mozilla Fellowship program is designed to engage people who like to code and bring them—and their varied expertise—into newsroom.
‣ If you have a knack for coding and an interest in contributing your skills to journalistic projects, you are the type of person we are looking for.
‣ Applicants are required to apply online.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on August 16, 2014
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.