2015 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries, Japan , and applications are submitted till 30 April 2015. Applications are invited for UNU scholarships available for applicants from developing countries to undertake PhD program in Sustainability Science. A limited number of PhD scholarships (covering tuition fees and living costs) for a maximum of 36 months are awarded for outstanding applicants who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance. Applicants must have completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and have a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Japan
Level: PhD degree
Field(s): Sustainability Science.
Deadline: 30 April 2015
Funded By: Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU), Japan
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships are targeted for Students from developing countries (Afghanistan, Gambia, Mozambique, Bangladesh, The Guinea, Myanmar, Benin, Guinea-Bisau, Nepal, Burkina Faso, Haiti, Niger, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Cambodia, Korea, Dem Rep., Sierra Leone, Central African Republic, Kyrgyz Republic, Somalia, Liberia, Tajikistan, Comoros, Madagascar, Tanzania, Malawi, Togo, Congo, Dem. Rep, Eritrea, Mali, Uganda, Ethiopia, Mauritania, Zimbabwe,Albania, Indonesia, Samoa, Armenia, India, São Tomé and Principe, Belize, Iraq, Senegal, Bhutan, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Bolivia, Kosovo, South Sudan, Cameroon, Lao PDR, Sri Lanka, Cape Verde, Lesotho, Sudan, Congo, Rep., Marshall Islands, Swaziland, Côte d’Ivoire, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Syrian Arab Republic, Djibouti, Moldova, Timor-Leste, Egypt, Arab Rep., Mongolia, Tonga, El Salvador, Morocco, Ukraine, Fiji, Nicaragua, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Nigeria, Vanuatu, Ghana, Pakistan, Vietnam, Guatemala, Papua New Guinea, West Bank and Gaza, Guyana, Paraguay, Yemen, Rep., Honduras, Philippines, Zambia, Angola, Ecuador,
Palau, Algeria, Gabon, Panama, American Samoa, Grenada, Peru, Antigua and Barbuda, Iran, Islamic Rep., Romania, Argentina, Jamaica, Russian Federation, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Serbia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Seychelles, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Latvia, South Africa, Botswana, Lebanon, St. Lucia, Brazil, Libya, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Suriname, Chile, Macedonia, FYR, Thailand, China, Malaysia, Tunisia, Colombia, Maldives, Turkey, Costa Rica, Mauritius, Turkmenistan, Cuba, Mexico, Tuvalu, Dominica, Montenegro and Uruguay)
‣ Award No: A limited number of PhD scholarships will be awarded.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships will be offered for a maximum of 36 months.
‣ Scholarship covers: The 2015 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships covers the full tuition fees and provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
‣ The PhD programme in Sustainability Science aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science.
‣ The programme takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
‣ The programme will equip graduates with comprehensive, multidisciplinary knowledge of sustainability problems, and deepen their understanding of the role of environmental sustainability in addressing current issues related to global change.
‣ Students undertake problem-oriented research, acquiring the quantitative and qualitative analytical research skills necessary to understand the underlying principles of various systems involved in sustainability issues and debates.
‣ Through coursework and research, PhD students gain critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the technical literacy required to address sustainability problems.
‣ Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met all of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
‣ Strong interest in sustainability studies;
‣ Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
‣ A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes or
‣ Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
‣ Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2015 – may also apply.
‣ A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale on at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
‣ English language proficiency: The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are: 600 in TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT); 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) and 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format
Selection Criteria for 2015 Japan Foundation for UNU PhD Scholarships
‣ These PhD scholarships will be awarded to outstanding applicants from
developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
‣ During admission selection process, outstanding applicants from developing countries with financial need will be automatically considered as candidates for the award of scholarships at UNU-IAS. Thus, no separate application is necessary.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 30 April 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.