2015 HFSPO Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Applicants , and applicants are required to apply 13 August 2014. The Human Frontier Science Program Organization (HFSPO) is offering postdoctoral fellowships for 2015 academic year. Two types of fellowships are awarded for three years i.e. Long-term Fellowships (LTF) for projects in the life sciences and Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (CDF) for a project in biology. A candidate who is not a national from one of the supporting countries may apply to work only in a research institution in one of the supporting countries while a candidate who is a national of one of the supporting countries can apply to work in a research institution in any country. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | HFSPO supporting countries and in any country (A candidate who is not a national from one of the supporting countries may apply to work only in one of the supporting countries and a candidate who is a national of one of the supporting countries can apply to work in any country).
Level: postdoctoral fellowship programme
Field(s): LTF is awarded for a project in the life sciences which is significantly different from the applicant’s previous PhD or postdoctoral work. CDF is awarded for those applicants who have had limited exposure to biology during their previous training
Deadline: 13 August 2014.
Funded By: The Human Frontier Science Program Organization (HFSPO)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 HFSPO Postdoctoral Fellowships are targeted for Citizens from HFSPO supporting countries (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus (EU part only), Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States of America) and from any country.
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: The HFSPO postdoctoral fellowship can be held for up to 3 years, with no possibility for renewal. Fellows may interrupt HFSPO support after the second year, for up to two years, while continuing postdoctoral work funded through other sources.
‣ Scholarship covers: The 2015 HFSPO Postdoctoral Fellowships can be held for up to 3 years, with no possibility for renewal. Fellows may interrupt HFSPO support after the second year, for up to two years, while continuing postdoctoral work funded through other sources. Fellows can either use the third fellowship year to continue work in the host laboratory, to return to their home country, or to move to another HFSPO member country. In all cases, HFSPO fellows are eligible to apply for the HFSPO Career Development Award (CDA). The CDA award provides start up funds of 300,000 USD over three years to initiate an independent laboratory and may be taken up at the end of the fellowship. The following allowances will be provided: Living allowances, Child allowance, Parental leave allowance, Research and travel allowance and Relocation allowance.
‣ The Human Frontier Science Program Organization (HFSPO) supports innovative basic research into fundamental biological problems, with emphasis placed on novel approaches that cross disciplinary boundaries.
‣ Biological research has become increasingly quantitative through the participation of scientists from biophysics, physics, chemistry, computer science, engineering, mathematics and nanoscience.
‣ Such collaborations have led to new approaches for understanding the complex structures and regulatory networks that characterize the evolution and interactions of organisms and biological systems.
‣ HFSPO invites applications for its two 2015 HFSPO Postdoctoral Fellowships programs: -Long-Term Fellowships (LTF) are for applicants with a Ph.D. in a biological discipline, who will broaden their expertise by proposing a project in the life sciences which is significantly different from their previous Ph.D. or postdoctoral work.
‣ Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (CDF) are for applicants with a Ph.D. from outside the life sciences (e.g. in physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering or computer sciences), who have had limited exposure to biology during their previous training.
‣ A candidate who is a national of one of the supporting countries can apply to work in a research institution in any country.
‣ HFSPO supporting countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus (EU part only), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States of America.
‣ For those going to institutions that are classified as extraterritorial such as the EMBL (Heidelberg/Germany, Grenoble/France or Monterotondo/Italy), ICPT or ICGEB (both in Trieste/Italy), Max Planck Institutes (Jupiter/Florida or Nijmegen/The Netherlands), the country in which the laboratory is located will be considered the host country.
‣ A research doctorate (PhD) or a doctoral-level degree comparable to a PhD with equivalent experience in basic research (e.g. a research based MD or medical PhD) must be conferred by the start of the fellowship.
‣ 2015 HFSPO Postdoctoral Fellowships Applicants must have at least one lead author research paper – either accepted for publication, in press or published – in an international peer-reviewed journal by 28th August 2014 in order to be eligible to apply.
‣ The applicant must either be the single author, first author or joint first author. In a joint first author paper the applicant may be listed in second place, however the equal contribution of the first two authors must be clearly stated.
‣ In some cases the standard publication practice makes first authorship impossible (e.g. alphabetical listing of authors); these circumstances must be explained in the “Additional Comments” section of the application.
‣ There are three steps in the review process: eligibility assessment, expert review and triage, and evaluation by the entire review committee.
Eligibility assessment for 2015 HFSPO Postdoctoral Fellowships
‣ all proposals are screened for formal eligibility and then by an ad hoc scientific committee for alignment of the proposed research with the scientific scope of the HFSPO fellowship program.
‣ An 2015 HFSPO Postdoctoral Fellowships application that does not meet the key requirements given in the guidelines will not be sent for expert review and the applicant will be informed.
‣ This process involves two Scientific Directors of HFSPO and the Chair and Vice-Chair of the fellowships review committee.
‣ Expert review and triage: eligible applications are evaluated by two review committee members who assign categorical ratings based on the following criteria: -the training potential of the fellowship based on the scientific originality and innovative character of -the research proposal.
‣ For both types of fellowship award, a clear departure from the previous research is viewed favourably, - the accomplishments and potential of the candidate relative to previous and current opportunities in terms of career stage and field of research, - the quality of the host and the host environment, - the information given by the candidate regarding his/her motivation, goals and achievements.
‣ The list of successful candidates is published on the HFSPO website in early April. The application and selection process is confidential, and neither the discussions of applications during review nor the information in unsuccessful applications are publicly released.
‣ Applicants are required to apply via online.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: The deadline for password registration and initiation of the online application is 13 August 2014. The deadline for submitting applications for award year 2015 is 29 August 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.