2015 GCSC PhD Scholarships for International Students in Germany , and applications are submitted till February 1, 2015.The GCSC invites applications for up to 13 PhD scholarships which are funded by the Excellence Initiative as well as Justus Liebig University Giessen. Scholarships are available for international students. Scholarships are offered for one year with the possibility of two extensions, each of one year. The PhD scholarship period starts on October 1, 2015 and includes a monthly stipend of approximately €1,468. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
Level: PhD degree
Field(s): Scholarships will be awarded for study of culture. The GCSC focuses its research within the following Research Areas: Cultural Memory Studies, Cultural Narratologies, Cultural Transformation and Performativity Studies, Visual and Material Culture Studies, Media and Multiliteracy Studies, Cultural Identities, Global Studies and Politics of Space, Cultures of Knowledge, Research and Education.
Deadline: February 1, 2015.
Funded By: These scholarships will be funded by the Excellence Initiative as well as the Justus Liebig University Giessen
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 GCSC PhD Scholarships are targeted for applicants from around the world.
‣ Award No: Up to 13 PhD scholarships are awarded to the applicants.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships will be offered for one year with the possibility of two extensions of one year each.
‣ Scholarship covers:Doctoral scholarships include a monthly stipend of € 1468.
‣ Giessen University’s International Graduate Centre for the Study of Culture (GCSC), co-funded by the German federal government’s Excellence Initiative, offers a three-year, structured PhD-programme in the study of culture.
‣ With its excellent research environment, a doctoral programme which is tailored to the needs of PhD students and the intensive personal support it provides, the Graduate Centre offers doctoral researchers optimum conditions for their PhD-projects and custom-made preparation for the time thereafter, both with regard to academic and non-academic careers.
Please note: If your main subject does not appear on the list of affiliated departments (for example, if you have a degree in Cultural Studies), you may still be eligible for membership of the GCSC, provided your research project can contribute to one of the GCSC’s research profile.
‣ are proposing a research project that contributes to one (or several) of the GCSC’s research areas and that they have not worked on for more than one year
‣ are fluent in English or German, knowledge of both is an advantage and should be acquired during the scholarship period.
Selection criteria for 2015 GCSC PhD Scholarships
‣ The main selection criteria are the candidates’ academic qualifications, the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for the GCSC’s research programme.
‣ Short-listed candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview.
‣ University will notify applicants by 13 February 2015 if they have been selected for the second stage.
‣ To apply for GCSC scholarships, you will first be asked to fill in and submit our online application form and to upload the following documents before the current deadline (01 February 2015): -a 1-2 page cover letter, explaining your motives for applying at the GCSC; -a short abstract of your research project (approx. 500 words), including the title of your project and a brief outline of the methodology you will use; -a curriculum vitae.
‣ Please compile one single PDF-document containing all of the above documents (1-2 pp. cover letter, abstract, and CV).
‣ Once you have created the PDF-file, please fill in our online application form. You can then upload your PDF-file as a part of the online form and submit your application by pressing the “send” button.
‣ You will receive an email confirming the submission of your application. Should you not receive this email, please check your spam filter before resending your application form. -In addition, we require two letters of recommendation provided by university professors.
‣ Please make sure that these references reach the GCSC by the announced deadline.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on February 1, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.