2017 GCSC PhD Scholarships for International Students in Germany , and applications are submitted till February 1, 2017.The GCSC invites applications for up to 13 PhD scholarships which are funded by the Excellence Initiative as well as Justus Liebig University Giessen. Scholarships are available for international students. Scholarships are offered for one year with the possibility of two extensions, each of one year. The PhD scholarship period starts on October 1, 2017 and includes a monthly stipend of approximately €1,468. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
Level: PhD degree
Field(s): Scholarships will be awarded for study of culture. The GCSC focuses its research within the following Research Areas: Cultural Memory Studies, Cultural Narratologies, Cultural Transformation and Performativity Studies, Visual and Material Culture Studies, Media and Multiliteracy Studies, Cultural Identities, Global Studies and Politics of Space, Cultures of Knowledge, Research and Education.
Deadline: February 1, 2017.
Funded By: These scholarships will be funded by the Excellence Initiative as well as the Justus Liebig University Giessen
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2017 GCSC PhD Scholarships are targeted for applicants from around the world.
‣ Award No: Up to 13 PhD scholarships are awarded to the applicants.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships will be offered for one year with the possibility of two extensions of one year each.
‣ Scholarship covers:Doctoral scholarships include a monthly stipend of € 1468.
‣ Giessen University’s International Graduate Centre for the Study of Culture (GCSC), co-funded by the German federal government’s Excellence Initiative, offers a three-year, structured PhD-programme in the study of culture.
‣ With its excellent research environment, a doctoral programme which is tailored to the needs of PhD students and the intensive personal support it provides, the Graduate Centre offers doctoral researchers optimum conditions for their PhD-projects and custom-made preparation for the time thereafter, both with regard to academic and non-academic careers.
Please note: If your main subject does not appear on the list of affiliated departments (for example, if you have a degree in Cultural Studies), you may still be eligible for membership of the GCSC, provided your research project can contribute to one of the GCSC’s research profile.
‣ are proposing a research project that contributes to one (or several) of the GCSC’s research areas and that they have not worked on for more than one year
‣ are fluent in English or German, knowledge of both is an advantage and should be acquired during the scholarship period.
Selection criteria for 2017 GCSC PhD Scholarships
‣ The main selection criteria are the candidates’ academic qualifications, the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for the GCSC’s research programme.
‣ Short-listed candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview.
‣ University will notify applicants by 13 February 2017 if they have been selected for the second stage.
‣ The main selection criteria are the candidates’ academic qualifications, the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for the GCSC’s research programme. Short-listed candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview.
The application deadline is February 1 2017. All applications (including an application form and further documents as stated on the GCSC website) have to be submitted online. Please find all information about the two-stage application procedure on our website at https://www.uni-giessen.de/faculties/gcsc/gcsc/Admission/scholarships-research-team-positions/doctoral-scholarships .
If you have any questions concerning your application, please contact us at email@example.com. On January 11, 2017, the GCSC will host an Information Day at the Graduate Centre for the Study of Culture (GCSC), Justus Liebig University Giessen, Alter Steinbacher Weg 38, 35394 Giessen. The Information Day gives potential applicants the opportunity to meet the faculty and students involved in the doctoral programme. You will also have a chance to obtain more information on the research areas and academic objectives of the GCSC; the wide range of interdisciplinary courses, colloquia and conferences; the research support on offer; international networks and partner institutions; as well as publishing and additional funding opportunities available to GCSC members. To register for the Information Day, please visit our website.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on February 1, 2017.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.