2015 Elsevier Awards for Early-Career Women Scientists from Developing Counties , and applications are submitted till 17th October 2014. aThe Elsevier Foundation, TWAS and OWSD have launched Elsevier awards for women scientists from developing countries. In 2015 year, total five awards will be awarded worth of USD 5,000. The winners will also be invited to attend international events pertaining to OWSD and TWAS. The assessment will be based on achievements in the field, with particular attention paid to the nominees’ publications in international peer-reviewed journals. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Awards ( Early-Career Women Scientists )
Field(s): The Awards rotate between disciplines (physics/math, medical/life sciences, and chemistry). In 2015, the five Awards are in physics and mathematics.
Deadline: 17th October 2014.
Funded By: The Elsevier Foundation, TWAS and OWSD
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Elsevier Awards are targeted for Citizens of Latin America and the Caribbean: Belize, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru and Suriname, Arab region; Comoros Islands, Djibouti, Mauritania, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, Sub-Saharan Africa: Angola, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Myanmar, Niger, Nigeria,
Rwanda, São Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe,
Central and South Asia: Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan and East and South-East Asia and the Pacific: Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Kiribati, Korea DPR, Lao PDR, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Vietnam can apply.
‣ Award No: Five Awards are given annually, one each to a female scientist from one of five regions.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Not Known
‣ Scholarship covers: The winners each receive a cash prize of US$5,000, plus all-expenses paid attendance at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), which in 2015 will be in San Jose, California; as well as one year’s access to Elsevier’s Science Direct and Scopus journals. In addition, this year, given that the award is in Physics and Mathematics, the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) is offering each of the winners free attendance and accommodation at one of ICTP’s renowned workshops or conferences in Trieste, Italy.
‣ This year’s Elsevier Foundation Awards in Physics and Maths are for Early-Career Women Scientists in the Developing World.
‣ So – OWSD Members – if you know a young, gifted and determined mathematician or physicist who deserves recognition and encouragement, and who has demonstrated her commitment to enabling other women scientists to build successful research careers, fill out the nomination form below! The deadline is 17 October 2014.
‣ Candidates must be female early-career scientists (within ten years of earning their PhD degree).
‣ At nomination, candidates must have lived and worked for at least three years in one of the countries listed in the nomination form.
Selection Criteria for 2015 Elsevier Awards
‣ The assessment will be based on achievements in the field, with particular attention paid both to the nominees’ contribution to capacity-building in their region, as well as international impact.
‣ Winners will be informed of their selection in November/December 2014.
‣ Nominations need to be made on the Nomination Form and be signed by the nominator; they must include the candidate’s curriculum vitae and full list of publications; and be accompanied by three reference letters.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 17th October 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.