2015 Commonwealth Professional Fellowships for Developing Commonwealth Countries in UK , and applications are submitted till 9 January 2015. Commonwealth Professional Fellowships provide an opportunity for mid-career professionals from developingCommonwealth countries to spend a period of time with a UK host organization working in their field for a program of professional development. The duration of the fellowships between one and three months this may be extended up to a maximum of six months. The fellowships cover the living expenses for the fellow as well as a return airfare to the UK. It also provides £800 funding support to the host organization, with a budget of up to £3,000 available for attendance at conferences, on short courses and other eligible costs. The CSC cannot accept any applications directly from prospective Fellows. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | UK
Level: Fellowships support mid-career professionals to spend a period of time with a UK host organization working in their field for a program of professional development.
Field(s): 2015 Commonwealth Professional Fellowships are awarded for professionals working in their field for a programme of professional development. Priority will be given to applications with practical relevance in the following broadly-defined areas: agriculture/ fisheries/forestry, economic growth, education, engineering/science/technology, environment, governance and public health.
Deadline: 9 January 2015.
Funded By: Commonwealth Scholarships Commission (CSC), UK
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 Commonwealth Professional Fellowships are targeted for scholars from Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Rwanda, St Helena, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and The Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tristan da Cunha, Turks and Caicos, Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
‣ Award No: The maximum number of fellows that can be nominated by an organization in one year is six. The CSC will decide upon the actual number of Fellows chosen.
‣ Scholarship Duration: 2015 Commonwealth Professional Fellowships should normally be between one and three month’s duration, although applications for longer periods (up to a maximum of six months) will be considered, but only when a strong case for the additional time has been made. The duration of the Fellowship should, however, be long enough to allow for serious development of professional skills, so the CSC will not be able to consider applications for awards of less than one month.
‣ Scholarship covers: Each 2015 Commonwealth Professional Fellowship provides:
economy airfare from the Fellow’s home country to the UK
‣ 2015 Commonwealth Professional Fellowships support mid-career professionals from developing Commonwealth countries to spend a period of time with a UK host organization working in their field for a program of professional development.
‣ Fellowships are typically about three months but can be between one and six months in length and can include limited time for attendance at short courses or conferences, as well as visits to other organizations.
‣ Programs must have a demonstrable development impact in the Fellow’s home country and the Fellow must be able to show how the knowledge and skills they will gain during the Fellowship will be disseminated after their return home.
‣ Be Commonwealth citizens, refugees or British protected persons, and must be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country
‣ Normally have at least five years’ relevant work experience in a profession related to the subject of the application, by the proposed start of the Fellowship.
‣ Be available to commence their Fellowship within prescribed dates as stated on the CSC website
‣ Not have undertaken a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship in the last five years
‣ Not be seeking to undertake an academic programme of research or study in the UK. Academics are eligible to apply for the scheme, but only to undertake programmes of academic management, not research or courses relevant to their research subject.
The CSC wishes to promote equal opportunity, gender equity and cultural exchange. Applications are encouraged from a diverse range of candidates.
Applications for 2015 Commonwealth Professional Fellowships will be judged on the following criteria:
‣ The extent to which the proposed Fellowship will ensure the transfer of skills relevant to the needs of a Commonwealth developing country
‣ The extent to which those skills will lead to practical benefits for the developing country following the Fellowship
‣ The extent to which the Fellowship will have a catalytic effect, either within the developing country concerned, or in establishing new relationships with the UK
‣ Prospective Professional Fellows who are nominated by a UK organisation will be asked to complete the Electronic Application System (EAS). Applications without two references (one from your current employer) will not be put forward to the selection committee.
‣ You must check with your referees that they have submitted these via the EAS – further information for referees on how to submit a reference. The CSC does not accept direct applications from candidates and cannot provide a list of UK organisations that are willing to host Fellows.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: The closing date for applications for 2015 (Round 1) Commonwealth Professional Fellowships is 23.59 (GMT) on 9 January 2015. Candidates should liaise with their nominating organisation well in advance of this date to agree a deadline to complete the EAS, so that the organisation can submit the full application by the closing date.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.