2015 ADG International Contest for Graduate Students in Switzerland , and applications are submitted till 30 April 2015. 2015 ADG International Contest for Graduate Students in Switzerland Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies invites applications for its the second edition of the ADG (Advancing Development Goals) international contest from graduate students. In 2015 the challenge is to discuss how return migration can contribute to social or economic development. The ADG contest 2015 will distribute 17,500 CHF in monetary prizes. The winning project will be awarded 10,000 CHF, the second prize will receive 5,000 CHF and the third, 2,500 CHF. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Switzerland (Geneva)
Level: This is an international competition for graduate students.
Field(s): In 2015 the challenge is to discuss how return migration can contribute to social or economic development.
Deadline: 30 April 2015
Funded By: Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 ADG International Contest is targeted for International Students
‣ Award No: Contributions will be made by groups of 3 to 5 master students involving at least two different disciplinary backgrounds or perspectives.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Not Known
‣ Scholarship covers: The ADG contest 2015 will distribute 17,500 CHF in monetary prizes. The winning project will be awarded 10,000 CHF, the second prize will receive 5,000 CHF and the third, 2,500 CHF.
‣ Eager to stimulate reflection and innovation on development from diverse disciplinary and contextual perspectives and with the generous support of Ambassador Jenö Staehelin, the Graduate Institute is launching the second edition of the Advancing Development Goals Contest, an international competition for graduate students.
‣ They consider “graduate students” to be anyone enrolled in a post-bachelor level university program with a maximum duration of 2 (two) years, or anyone who can prove to be studying towards acquiring a masters level degree.
‣ Participants must gather in teams of 3 (three) to 5 (five) graduate students, who are able to contribute from at least 2 (two) different disciplinary perspectives to the submitted analysis. No participation on an individual basis will be admitted. The participants can be enrolled in a same graduate program, collaborate with students from other programs from the university they are enrolled in or coordinate with students from different universities and institutions worldwide.
‣ All team members must provide a scanned copy of a document that serves as proof of enrollment as a graduate student before the registration of the team can be confirmed and validated.
‣ Any official document issued by the Academic Institute the student is affiliated to is accepted as proof of enrollment as long as it contains: a) the name of the student; b) the program he/she is enrolled in; c) an issuance date up to three months before the registration date or d) a validity beyond the registration date.
‣ Exceptionally, they might accept the registration of people who are transitioning into graduate studies, as long as they have already been accepted in a graduate student program at the time of the registration.
Selection Criteria for 2015 ADG International Contest
‣ The ADG contest offers an opportunity for master students to use theoretical tools to frame a development issue and offer a creative, feasible and potentially efficient solution to address the identified vulnerability.
‣ Thus the ASC and the Jury Panel will be looking for the following characters in the proposals:
‣ The relevance of the research question proposed by the team and its scalability. The issue addressed and the solution envisioned can be inspired by a particular geographic, cultural or economic setting, but the idea must be adaptable to fit into a transformative agenda in other contexts;
‣ The entry must display analytical strength and academic competence in the choice of sources, the structure of the arguments and in the ability to discuss, question and build upon previous perspectives on the topic (critical approach);
‣ There must pragmatism and feasibility imbedded within the proposals. There should be development on why and how the idea presented is efficient to addressing the issue raised by the team;
‣ All submissions must be original and especially developed for participation in the 2015 ADG contest. Shortlisted submissions are checked for originality and any indication of plagiarism or recycling of submissions from other contests will result in the elimination of the entry from the ADG contest.
‣ Regarding the finalist presentations in Geneva, the Jury will be looking into inter alia): a) the clarity of the oral presentations; b) the perspective of a practical linkage with the beneficiaries of the action proposed; c) the quality of the response to questions from the Jury and from the public.
Notification for 2015 ADG International Contest
‣ Three finalist teams will be invited (traveling and accommodation expenses covered) to an oral presentation in Geneva, where they will defend their ideas and answer questions from the jury and from the public.
‣ The finalists will also be present at an awards ceremony where the results of the contest will be announced preceded by a high-level key-note speech on international migration
‣ Applicants should complete the online registration form. Each group must chose a team leader who will be the main (but note sole) focus point for communication with the organization of the contest.
‣ Before the registration deadline, the proof of enrollment for all the team members must be sent to:geneva.challenge-at-graduateinstitute.ch. Entries will have a maximum length of 8000 (eight thousand) words including all notes and references and must be written in English or French.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 30 April 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.