2015-2016 Quebec MELS Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Nationals, Canada , and The application deadlines vary according to universities. Applications are invited for Quebec Merit Scholarship Program available for foreign nationals. Scholarships are awarded for pursuing short-term research or professional development, postdoctoral and doctoral research in Canada. Candidates cannot apply directly to the agency they must be nominated by a University. Doctoral Research Scholarship is valued at $25,000 per year, postdoctoral fellowship is valued at $35,000 per year and short-term research or professional development is valued at $3,000 a month. Only candidates nominated by a University may submit an application to the provincial competition. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): Canadian Universities | Canada
Level: Short-term Research or Professional Development, Postdoctoral & Doctoral Research
Field(s): any of the courses at Canadian University.
Deadline: The application deadlines vary according to universities.
Funded By: Government of Québec
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015-2016 Quebec MELS Merit Scholarship is targeted for International (Canadian citizens are not eligible) students
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: Doctoral Research Scholarship for up to three years. -Postdoctoral Fellowship for one year non renewable. -Short-term research or professional development for a period of up to four months.
‣ Scholarship covers: -Doctoral Research Scholarship: valued at $25,000 per year for up to three years (tenable within the first nine terms of the doctoral program), and MELS will offer all recipients an exemption from paying the international tuition fees and the medical insurance coverage offered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec. All doctoral sessions, funded or unfunded, completed before the scholarship takes effect are used in calculating the eligibility period. -Postdoctoral Fellowship: valued at $35,000 per year for one year non renewable. Postdoctoral fellowships are intended for new researchers who obtained their degree no more than two years before the deadline date for the competition or who submitted their dissertation by January 2015 at the latest, the deadline date for the beginning of the fellowship. Postdoctoral research must be conducted in an institution other than the one that granted the Doctorate. -Short-term research or professional development: valued at $3,000 a month for a period of up to four months. These scholarships are intended for technical and university students (Option A) or researchers who have completed a doctorate no more than five years before the deadline date for the competition (Option B).
‣ 2015-2016 Quebec MELS Merit Scholarship Candidates from all disciplines are eligible to submit an application to one of the following competitions: V1 Doctoral; V2 Postdoctoral; V3 Short Term Research; Brazil 1B Doctoral; 2B Postdoctoral; 3B Short Term Research; India 1I Doctoral; 2I Postdoctoral; 3I Short Term Research; and Wallonie 1W Doctoral; and 3W Short Term Research.
‣ Please take note that there is no Postdoctoral Competition for QuebecWallonie category.
‣ Must meet all eligibility conditions as at the date of the closing of the competition (usually the end of October).
‣ Cannot have submitted another application for any of the three components of the program in the same year.
‣ Cannot have already received a merit scholarship for foreign students.
‣ Cannot be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
‣ Cannot have applied for permanent resident status under Canadian immigration law.
‣ Candidates conducting research in the following fields may apply to the International Doctoral FQRNT Competition: Aerospace, Information Technology and Communication, Health and Technology, Genomics and Nanotechnology.
‣ Please take note that this competition is open to doctoral international students only. -Candidates conducting research in the following fields may apply to the International Doctoral FQRSC Competition: Social Sciences, Humanities, and Fine Arts.
‣ Please take note that this competition is open to doctoral international students only.
‣ 2015-2016 Quebec MELS Merit Scholarship Candidates from Brazil, India, and Wallonie (Francophone Belgians) may choose to be considered for the Unrestricted Country categories as well as the country specific (i.e. V1 Doctoral – Unrestricted category & Brazil category).
‣ As well, the same doctoral candidates may choose to be considered for the International FQRNT/FQRSC competitions
The 2015-2016 Quebec MELS Merit Scholarship will be awarded on the basis of following:
‣ Excellence of University Record
‣ Aptitude for research and relevant research experience
‣ Scientific quality and interest of the proposed research project and quality of the research environment
‣ Application Process:
Step 1: Print out all the necessary material and download the required files from the School of Graduate Studies website and the FQRNT website (available after June 30th).
Step 2: Candidates may only submit one application to either the V1 Doctoral, V2 Postdoctoral or V3 Short Term Research competition.
Step 3: Determine whether you are eligible to apply for one or more of the sub categories (i.e. Unrestricted and Brazil) – consult the FQRNT website.
Step 4: Download and complete the PDF fillable Concordia Pre-Selection Form.
Step 5: Obtain two (2) letters of references from referees who are familiar with your work
Step 6: Verify the application for completeness
Step 7: Candidates must submit their complete application with copies of their transcripts to their Department.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: The application deadlines vary according to universities.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.