2014 UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship Programme for International Researchers in Japan and applicantions are open until 15 March 2014. Applications are invited for UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship Programme to candidates in the last stages of their dissertation process. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country):United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies | Japan
Level: PhD research program.
Field(s): Research proposals for UNU-IAS PhD Fellowships should therefore relate clearly to one of the current research areas of the Institute, as well as aim to be policy relevant. Research proposals are invited in Science and Technology for Sustainable Societies, Sustainable Urban Futures, Biodiplomacy Initiative, Sustainable Development Governance, Traditional Knowledge Initiative and Marine/Coastal Governance and Urban Biodiversity (UNU-IAS OUIK).
Deadline: 15 March 2014
Funded By: United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2014 UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship is targeted for International applicants.
‣ Award No: One or two PhD Fellowships are awarded each year.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Fellowships are awarded for a period of 12 months, starting in September.
‣ Scholarship covers: The fellowship provides a monthly stipend of JPY260,000. A one-time-only settle-in-allowance of JPY 80,000 will be granted to each fellow at the beginning of the programme for relocation, adjustment expenses, ground transportation and incidental costs. UNU-IAS provides fellows with a return air ticket between his/her country of residence and Narita Airport. Settle-in-allowance and air tickets are, however, not provided for fellows already residing in Japan before the commencement of the fellowship.
‣ UNU-IAS offers 2014 UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship to candidates in the last stages of their dissertation process to broaden their perspectives to other related scientific fields, and to expose them to international policy-making circles.
‣ So far, more than 90 Fellows from some 50 countries have passed through the PhD Fellowship Programme. Of those completing the programme, about one third have been women, and developing country participants have outnumbered developed country participants.
Have what it takes to avail 2014 UNU-IAS PhD Fellowship?
‣ Applicants must be at the dissertation writing stage of their PhD with a research proposal accepted by the candidate’s university.
‣ Language proficiency in English is essential. Applicants from developing countries and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
‣ Fellows carry out their research in Japan under the supervision of a UNU-IAS faculty member.
‣ Fellows will spend about half of their working hours on their dissertation and the remaining half assisting the Institute’s projects and activities.
‣ Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria: (i) The research objectives of the applicant and the quality of the research proposal; (ii) the relevance of the research proposal to the ongoing or planned research activities of the applicant’s selected Research Programme at UNU-IAS; (iii) the applicant’s academic merit and the potential for successful research while at UNU-IAS.
‣ Interested and eligible candidates are invited to complete the online-application form. If applicants do not have access to the Internet, please contact the University.
‣ The online form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English. If the supporting document is in another language, please also attach an English translation.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 15 March 2014.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
You may also like
Your first paragraph ...